What's involved in an IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to revive a sleeping thread:
I've just finished my DM earlier last July; now my Instructor is trying to bring over a CD to hold an IDC in his dive shop about mid November.
he feels quite comfortable for me joining that IDC; now I already have the IM (current version); my question is: will it be good for the IE purpose - after all we don't expect the contents (standards) to change much if any, right?
one more thig I'd like to repeat the original op question: what is it really look like? apart from doing our homework (studying) any tips/tricks? how demanding is it? how hard the IE? will the examiners deliberately give you a hard time?
A sticky similar to the one of the DM study guide would be nice! :)
TIA

I'm going to revive a sleeping thread:
I've just finished my DM earlier last July; now my Instructor is trying to bring over a CD to hold an IDC in his dive shop about mid November.
he feels quite comfortable for me joining that IDC; now I already have the IM (current version); my question is: will it be good for the IE purpose - after all we don't expect the contents (standards) to change much if any, right?
one more thig I'd like to repeat the original op question: what is it really look like? apart from doing our homework (studying) any tips/tricks? how demanding is it? how hard the IE? will the examiners deliberately give you a hard time?
A sticky similar to the one of the DM study guide would be nice! :)
TIA

SOP for PADI courses (especially IDCs) is that any changes that are introduced at DEMA are not implemented until several months after the show. It's usually far enough out that people contemplating doing their Pro Level Courses in the near future don't have to worry about changing content or standards blowing them up.

So, if you already have your materials & you are going to take the IDC in November, what you have is good. However, I do urge you to speak with the CD that will be conducting your IDC in order to verify this the case as some CDs like to implement the changes as soon as they have their own set of new materials. But they won't use them if their IDC Candidates don't already have them.

That being said, NO ONE IS OUT TO GET YOU AT THE IDC OR IE. The IDC is there to teach you how to be an Instructor using PADI methodology which will ultimately be tested, along with your dive pro skills & knowledge development, at the IE.

And the IE is there to verify that what you learned at the IDC is at your fingertips & you can anticipate and handle the stuff that Instructors need to handle.

That's about it...

I don't know if the speech is universal, but right at my IE they said they are not there to give us a hard time, or make it impossible to pass, but we would encounter everyday problems both in the pool and in open water.

I don't know if the speech is universal, but right at my IE they said they are not there to give us a hard time, or make it impossible to pass, but we would encounter everyday problems both in the pool and in open water.

Thats pretty much what they said at mine.

As a DM you're expected to deal with problems, but as an instructor you're expected to anticipate and prevent them.

The IDC consists of presentations made to you by the CD, presentations made by you to the CD, and in-water scenarios. Presentations made by you are intended to get you used to the PADI teaching approach, which has a very specific format on which you'll be scored. This is best left to your CD to explain since it's a bit weird. It's not hard, but it can be tedious....you think you're getting the info across but still score low because you're not conforming to the prescribed format. I don't fully agree with this approach, but it's what's (currently) required so you adapt. Listening to other people's presentations is the longest part of the IE and it's paralyzingly dull. Bring a book.

The intent of an IDC is to prepare you for the IE. For any of the 20 basic skills introduced in OW, you'll have to perform a full briefing, demo the skill, evaluate students doing the skill and then debrief. They will have at least one student do something wrong, and you're expected to catch it and correct it before it becomes an issue. These are fairly predictable -- like donating a reg upside down, spitting their reg out, not blowing bubbles, trying to put their mask on upside down, swimming away when they're told to wait, etc. The exact same thing will happen at the IE, both in the pool and in the ocean. During the IDC, the CD will recruit DMs and other instructors to act as "students", and the "ADHD student" is always the fun role. They're basically instructed to screw up everything, so maintaining control is your main objective. You go through this exercise several times, and the CD scores you on them. You can expect the exact same thing at the IE with your fellow instructor candidates. They're not out to screw you over, and if you catch and correct the initial problem then that's the end of it.

The IE isn't hard if you're well prepared. Your CD probably wouldn't send you to an IE if s/he didn't think you were ready since their reputation is on the line...and that's what the IDC helps them evaluate. As for the theoretical knowledge, it's nothing you haven't already seen in the DM course.

One thing I do wonder about is the wisdom of going straight from DM to instructor. You learn a lot as a DM while assisting other instructors, and I think it makes you a better instructor if you have experience as a DM first. It exposes you to the full spectrum of students -- from the superstars to the train wrecks -- and you see how experienced instructors deal with the train wrecks. But that's just a personal observation that has no bearing on your ability to pass the IE...it has more to do with what happens after the IE.

The IDC will be presented at the DEMA but the roll out will only start around March after the publication of the new instructor manual and the first training bullettin.
Most of the changes do not pertain to the IDC but to the documentation, redundancies will be eliminated and content will be transferred from the IM to the IDC candidate workbook
The IE will not change
So if you plan to do your IDC before than don't worry too much as you will receive the new IM as renewal benefit next year, What you should be careful about is the transient phase where shops will still have the old IM and IDC Workbook (January/February) as in that case you would be left with the old material for the whole year

The IDC will be presented at the DEMA but the roll out will only start around March after the publication of the new instructor manual and the first training bullettin.
Most of the changes do not pertain to the IDC but to the documentation, redundancies will be eliminated and content will be transferred from the IM to the IDC candidate workbook
The IE will not change
So if you plan to do your IDC before than don't worry too much as you will receive the new IM as renewal benefit next year, What you should be careful about is the transient phase where shops will still have the old IM and IDC Workbook (January/February) as in that case you would be left with the old material for the whole year
Thanks, one more Q, if I may:
now if I have the digital IM only (without attending the IDC) or if I have attended but did not sit for the IE will I be eligible for the new IM when it comes out? or must I pay for it?

You'll have to pay for it. Only renewing instructors receive the updates. If you take your IE late in the year, you will be current until the next December, you would receive, usually, an update at that time. However, there is some talk of discontinuing the updates after this year.

Back
Top Bottom