What's involved in an IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

narcossis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok i know that this is abit off topic but it seems to me to be a good place to get the right info with out sounding like an idiot.

What is acctually involved in an IDC? i find my self getting further through my DM heading for this course and i have no idea what is acctually involved.

Narcossis

The Instructor Development Course teaches you how to teach the material, use the PADI System, and some general topics on being a pro at this level.

You are expected to arrive at the IDC prepared: 20 Skills perfected, diving skills and comfort level perfected, plenty of experience in various conditions, professional level Dive Theory knowledge, own all of your own gear, have all of the PADI materials.

Your Divemaster program will (or should anyway) prepare you well for this, along with experience after DM actually helping with classes, trips, tours as a DM.

I could detail the current IDC for you, but it is going to change significantly this fall. A whole new course is being rolled out at DEMA along with new Instructor Manuals.

So, if you're doing an IDC before this, PM me and I can tell you what to expect. Otherwise, we can come back to this in November after we all see the new program and our CD's give us the IDCS Updates.

The Instructor Development Course teaches you how to teach the material, use the PADI System, and some general topics on being a pro at this level.

You are expected to arrive at the IDC prepared: 20 Skills perfected, diving skills and comfort level perfected, plenty of experience in various conditions, professional level Dive Theory knowledge, own all of your own gear, have all of the PADI materials.

Your Divemaster program will (or should anyway) prepare you well for this, along with experience after DM actually helping with classes, trips, tours as a DM.

I could detail the current IDC for you, but it is going to change significantly this fall. A whole new course is being rolled out at DEMA along with new Instructor Manuals.

So, if you're doing an IDC before this, PM me and I can tell you what to expect. Otherwise, we can come back to this in November after we all see the new program and our CD's give us the IDCS Updates.

Joe-Diver is right on the money: he's given you a decent overview of the IDC Course.

This year's DEMA is supposed to introduce all the changes coming up in the IDC. I'm especially happy to hear about the slimmed down Instructor Manual! :glad:

Meanwhile, if you have any questions, feel free to PM any IDC Staff Instructor, MI, or CD you see floating around here on SB. :D

I'm especially happy to hear about the slimmed down Instructor Manual! :glad:

I'm with ya there....although I'm 99% digital with everything on my MacBook Pro, the IM has needed an overhaul for a while now.....

I'm with ya there....although I'm 99% digital with everything on my MacBook Pro, the IM has needed an overhaul for a while now.....

I have to admit that with the advent of the (only) yearly IM updates it HAS slowed things down a bit, but the thing is still so HUGE you could hurt yourself carrying it around. And yeah, I do believe that sometimes you have to have one as a back up "just in case".

Going to be interesting...

i will, how much?

Joking, right?

Not only are you not at the right level, but it will become a very large worthless paperweight after DEMA in October.

Joking, right?

Not only are you not at the right level, but it will become a very large worthless paperweight after DEMA in October.

Is it possible he was refering to Compact Disk as opposed to Course Director?:confused:

Back
Top Bottom