What's Left of Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have fun and dive...Cozumel diving is still awesome!!

Hear, hear!!!!

Keep expectations realistic!
Recovery from a catastrophic hurricane takes a little time.
The culture of instant gratification that has developed in the US lately is SO unrealistic.

We need to appreciate the little things. Like the old Campbells soup commercials, "Simple pleasures are the best!"

People are asking about the reefs, and if its worth diving. Yes its worth diving!
The water is warm and clear. The reef structures are still massive and impressive. The finer corals can still be found at different dive sites.

We saw more large groupers, nurse sharks, eagle rays, baraccuda, octopus, eels, and other critters, than on previous trips. We saw fewer sargent majors, seahorses, and a few others. The diving is still beautiful drift dives, in clear water, with fun people, and enthusiastic DMs. We went with Blue XT Sea. Take a look at jpomerantz's fotos. As we dove together, and he took a very nice sampling and posted it here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145804

Some of the good old standby sites like Chankanaab have been hammered, but its worth a dive to see what happend, to appreciate the power of nature, and to see new growth emerging from the sand.

To me, the most apparent damage, is topside. The main business and tourist areas are put back together, but the defoliation of the entire jungle, people's wrecked homes, and mounds of trash everywhere, speak to the plight of the local people.
The diving, and the diving culture is alive and surviving, but the everyday person, is suffering a little.
Still the spirit of the people shines through. The hope and confidence in the future drives them to rebuild.
There is an undercurrent of fear that you can feel. The fear of another hurricane hangs heavy on many people's shoulders.

No one is sitting around waiting for the government to take care of them. They realise that the tourist is the goose that lays the golden egg, and they will take good care of that goose!
If we see change, and not simply destruction, and appreciate the beauty that is still everywhere, we will continue to enjoy going to Coz as our favorite dive destination.
:soapbox:

cowboyneal:
I am always on fast boats with highly experienced divers, and the DMs and Captains ask us where we want to go and poof, there we are, including dives at Maracaibo Deep, the Wall of the Widows, Maya Gate/Labyrinth and Devil’s Other End. That's MY actual experience, actually had and enjoyed.." CN

I've never heard of the Wall of Widows or Maya Gate/Labyrinth? Are those far south dives?

scubabum2:
I've never heard of the Wall of Widows or Maya Gate/Labyrinth? Are those far south dives?

Two weeks ago a dive on Columbia Deep included the widow maker wall and the mayan gate. I've dived Columbia Deep before but this was the first time I'd heard these names. Guess it depends how entertaining the DM wants to get with their briefing?

CozumelAntonio:
There's nothing left, go somewhere else please... :mooner:

That was my thought at well... "Gone... it's all gone. What's the point anymore." :shakehead

scubawife:
Two weeks ago a dive on Columbia Deep included the widow maker wall and the mayan gate. I've dived Columbia Deep before but this was the first time I'd heard these names. Guess it depends how entertaining the DM wants to get with their briefing?

Well the DM's do tend to have their own pet names for certain sites--they aren't on any of the dive site maps. Sometimes they change the name of the site altogether! LOL

As for the info the original poster is seeking on post-Wilma diving, I have some issues with the "accuracy" of Doc's report. The most blatant fact is that at least 1/2 of his report is gleaned from other people's reports and quoted out of context to suit whatever point he is trying to make. His comments (and those he quotes) also display an obvious bias against certain dive ops while implying that others are better, which is strictly his opinion and clearly defies Undercurrent's "unbiased reporting" policy. I'm actually surprised at Ben Davidson for running this article without some severe editing. It's also important to note that this report was written after Doc's first visit to the island in over 2 years, and his only visit post-Wilma thus far. I think more frequent visitors will agree that many changes have taken place in 2 years, both topside and UW, so there was no current baseline for comparison against post-Wilma diving.

Given these facts, I think there are much better balanced and accurate reports that have been written on the conditions post-Wilma. Jlyle's and Moodiejeff's immediately come to mind--I apologize to the writers of the many other great reports which a search of this forum will reveal. Bfisher, the only way you're ever going to know for sure is to go and form your own opinion. I have been twice post-Wilma and, while the diving was different, those differences only increased my enjoyment. You can do a search for my recent post under "My Cozumel Experience" for my reasoning. Thank you for listening and as always, this is my .02 :)

Appreciate the kind words.

I have to agree with your statement that "I would only take issue with DocV's continued use of "one report" from a diver (whose real experiences and the reasons for complaints aren't truly known - there's always three sides ot a story - one side, the other side and the truth) to indicate "problems" with some of the islands best-known operators." I'm not entirely happy with how that turned out, either, but such is the nature of editors ; )

Every one of the citations from other people's reports were selected by the editor from submissions to the Travelin' Diver's Chap Book and included by him after I finished my work. He sees hundreds and hundreds of these and apparently chose examples he felt were representative and provocative. To the best of my knowledge, he has no personal reasons for being biased against any particular dive ops. My sections of the report, which are clearly demarcated, do not disparage any of them. In any event, those who are compelled to chastise can write him at editor@undercurrent.com. His nom de plume is "Ben Davison."

As for the report representing opinions, any travel report is going to be largely opinion and different folks are going to view the same venue differently. And that's as it should be. Those who prefer staying shallower in the water column, are uncomfortable the size and weight of oversized tanks, and who enjoy groups of highly mixed experience levels on a boat are going to seek out different ops than those who want more challenging scuba and all this implies. Happily, there are scads of good shops on Coz and everyone should be able to find one or more that they're happy with.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc, very informative.........I can't wait to get back there again

I want to thank all that did reply. There were a couple good and entertaining posts, too. Especially Doc's.

I guess maybe I didn't get specific enough. I have dove Coz only a month ago. I dove Coz twice last year so I have seen some of the "change" that Wilma has inflicted. The main reason I asked about reefs north of Tormetos is that I stayed at the Reef Club, and as you probably know most dive ops don't like to travel any farther than necessary. Thus, the farthest north we got was Tormentos. I waas curious about some of the reefs north of this.

I am also aware that none of these reefs are going to look anything like I remember from last year. At least not in my lifetime. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy what's left and what may be new.

I'll be diving with Paradise again. Nacho will most likely give me hell for going to deep---again.

Actually folks, I'm giving some thought to renting a place and staying there for several months. Guess that'll mean another trip down for house-hunting.

Hey, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom