What's needed to double older LP72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what I have (modern) for single regulator use with doubles. Other option is a USD "Military" solid bar when you can find them.

ordered.JPG

my real preference is this one:

wanted.JPG

but it is basically a "unicorn" as the manufacturer rarely makes production runs of them.

My bands (new) to fit vintage 72 steels were sourced from Randy at Piranha.

I make a reinforce plate (1/8 -1/4 thick it's in my drawings)
that goes over the overlap and the other side and weld it to the band... welding is best. But if you can't do it some guys just leave it loose and the holes keep everything together... remember the spacers are very important with this design.

My vintage manifolds are 8 inch centers.
And modern manifolds are 8.5 inches
You will have some problems with the vintage bands.... I have used some of those bands but it needs the spacer... and maybe reinforcing plates. To reform the bands... some vintage bands work better than others.

What you need for 72s are 7" bands, and I just happen to have a pair that I am no longer using, if you want them. But you can get them almost anywhere, because that's what is used for LP85s as well. 72s are nominally 6.9" in diameter and the tenth of an inch doesn't matter, as long as you use a standard adjustable manifold. I have a blue steel crossbar I would sell as well.

Send me a PM if you want my bands. They'll be reasonably priced, but shipping is unfortunately probably going to cost something; they're heavy.

Here is what I have (modern) for single regulator use with doubles. Other option is a USD "Military" solid bar when you can find them.

Are there service parts for the solid bar US Divers Military if perhaps, maybe I found one? :)

or where do they sell those WMD manifolds?

You need proper bands for the solid bar. Parts are available, but a challenge to find.

Ok - so now I have a solid bar, US Divers Military manifold on the way. A good first step. Just need a set of bands to match it.

Bands aren’t as available as I thought though. By my math, they need to be 15” the long distance (3.5” radius x 2 leaves 1” spacer for the 8” on center manifold so 7+1+7 is 15). Most are 16+ Hmmm. I may be back to making them which works too.

I have a USD solid bar manifold on 72's. Center to center spacing is 8-1/4"

With a modern manifold that has dual outlets, if you only have a regulator on one side and open that valve and the isolator, gas flows from both tanks correct?

To expand the answers above, here is a schematic of a modern isolation manifold:

full.jpg

Here is a cut-a-way of the XS-Scuba manifold:

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom