What's the best Apeks regulator setup for DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamikey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Two of my LDS's both sell Apeks, and I'm wondering which combination I should get. I know the atx50 and DS4 is good, but with the XTX series out now, does anyone have an opinion? I just got lucky and some extra cash came my way, so I can afford their best if that's what I should get. XTX50 and XTX40 octo?

I'll need the 1st, 2nd and octo.

If you can afford the best why would you be concerned about DIR's opinion? Do you suspect they'd want you in less than the best?

Is the most expensive always the best? What is "best"? What enhancements in performance or ease of use (or reliability, or ease of service) come with the more expensive model?

Right now, for example, Aqualung is offering a first stage with an automatic shutoff. It may be a great idea, but I shudder at the thought of a malfunctioning device that completely closes the orifice on my first stage. Is this an improvement, or not?

One of the things a thinking diver wants to do is assess gear purchases, to make sure that the money spent is well spent, on useful qualities and not bling.

TS we are talking to a brand new diver here. They honestly have to rely on experts opinions. They probably won't find many here or if they do they'll find them mixed in among the divers who sound like experts.

If they can afford top of the line apex regs, they're doing just fine.

The Apeks XTX-50 is essential the same as the ATX-50 except for one new feature. The XTX line allows you to change to bigger exhaust vents so bubbles arent in your face as much (although I have never found this a problem). I was told it may help photographers keep bubbles out of the picture. I would not shy away from the XTX series.

Now for the real question, are you running doubles or a single tank? If running doubles, a DS4 1st stage with a XTX/ATX-50 2nd stage on each post is a nice setup. If running a single tank, a DS4 1st stage with 2 x XTX/ATX-50 2nd stages (one on a 7' hose) are nice too. My main dive partner is about to buy the second option. If you then go to doubles, you can pickup another DS4 and you have option 1.

BTW, ScubaKimmie is HOT!!! Meeeeeooow!!!

Carl the Cat

ScubaKimmie:
If you can afford the best why would you be concerned about DIR's opinion? Do you suspect they'd want you in less than the best?

Sometimes the more expensive regs have additional features that can be failure points (e.g. a swivel turret 1st stage vs. fixed) and therefore a less expensive reg could be considered superior from a DIR point of view. The "best" might not be their most expensive. Regarding Apeks, I believe the atx50/atx40/DS4 combo is very popular- but not the most expensive.

The Black Pearl is the most expensive but is basically an ATX-200 with a fancy finish. Also, I think there is another new XTX model which has some fancy finish that is more expensive as well.

I dive ATX-200 (1st and 2nd stage) with ATX-50 (2nd stage) backup. I would not trade them for the world... well, at least not for any other regulator.

Carl the Cat

carlthecat:
The Apeks XTX-50 is essential the same as the ATX-50 except for one new feature. The XTX line allows you to change to bigger exhaust vents so bubbles arent in your face as much (although I have never found this a problem). I was told it may help photographers keep bubbles out of the picture. I would not shy away from the XTX series.

Now for the real question, are you running doubles or a single tank? If running doubles, a DS4 1st stage with a XTX/ATX-50 2nd stage on each post is a nice setup. If running a single tank, a DS4 1st stage with 2 x XTX/ATX-50 2nd stages (one on a 7' hose) are nice too. My main dive partner is about to buy the second option. If you then go to doubles, you can pickup another DS4 and you have option 1.

BTW, ScubaKimmie is HOT!!! Meeeeeooow!!!

Carl the Cat

I'll have a single tank. What about having the octo be a XTX-40, since DIR suggests a less sensitive, etc. reg for the octo?

Also, any comments on the other first stages available?
xtx-fst, fsr?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom