What's the best Scuba tip you've gotten from this board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Like others same story ... the board helped me with trim and weighting. I realized I never paid nearly the level of attention to this as many here do. I'm comfortable on a wide range of weighting and I attribute this new found awareness of comfort directly to ScubaBoard and specifically to Uncle Pug and Mike Ferrara. Two fine folks who really do care.

Mostly, this board is about people and their passion for the great sport of diving. Mike F's sincerity and passion about neutral hovering and absolute keynote mastery of trim and weighting as well as UPs great stories about real-world events.

Also it's a really cool place to just hang out and discuss the finer points of everything scuba.

BTW - Mike F, I'm still yet to get a video of your students doing a scuba unit removal and replace while hovering neutrally in the deep end of the pool. I can't wait.

I'm glad my ramblings have been of use to some.

I don't require my students remove and replace their unit while hovering. In this case standards specifically require the use of the bottom. This was pointed out to me by someone else (I missed it but it's about the only time use of the bottom is required) I do however and it isn't hard but I don't have UW video capability. This is something I plan to remedy as soon as finances allow though. I think it is a training tool none of us should be without.

Equipment tips: where to get a reel and how to use it, which wetsuit to get, how to don a wetsuit on without acting like a worm, what to do with my hair while I'm diving, and other girls' stuff :wink:
Travel tips (thanks all, especially DocV who is my favorite world encyclopedia)
Local tips: where and when to dive around Philly
Tips tips tips :D

I try to contribute by sharing the good tips that I know of...

INspector#2 AKA Dave4
: It was a pleasure to have you and Jerri on the Bonaire trip.
Thanks for the kind words! I can especially use them today ...
It's a Monday right?
hehehehe

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Like others same story ... the board helped me with trim and weighting. I realized I never paid nearly the level of attention to this as many here do. I'm comfortable on a wide range of weighting and I attribute this new found awareness of comfort directly to ScubaBoard and specifically to Uncle Pug and Mike Ferrara. Two fine folks who really do care.
Ditto on the above. Have been comfortable diving for a lot of years without much thought to the finer details of trim. Really saw no need for it due to primarily recreational diving only. Mikes comments regarding trim have been a bit of an epiphany for me in the last six months.

Still don't believe it's realistic to expect the average recreational diver to dive in perfect trim all the time since they rarely have the desire to practice like an avid diver would, but, all will benefit from added exposure and practicing of proper trim.

Ps: Don't get a fat head Mike, you fat head! :D

Pss: Kudos to the scubaboard and all who toil over her, who are directly responsible for this exchange of ideas.:thumb:

I don't know if I could pick a BEST tip I have found here. As a dive shop owner I have certainly gained insite. As a diver it isn't possible to talk with so many divers and not learn. I have had the chance to meet, talk with and even dive with a few board members and that has been an absolute pleasure. I often can't resist arguing with some of our more prominent DIR proponents but I have come to respect the philosophy more as time goes on. Regardless of what methods or equipment you choose there is wisdom and skill here that all can benefit from. I got to dive with LY, SLJ, and DSJ and I wouldn't have missed that for the world. I got to meet some of the the Kentucky Piranha Patrol at Gilboa and that was a blast. I look foreward to more of the same and certainly plan to eventually have the oportunity to show Gedunk just who the fat head is.

We enjoyed meeting you as well Mike and I hope we can do it again soon.

Chad

jepuskar once bubbled...
I have received several great tips/comments on scubaboard.

1) Dude, go away.
2) Your an idiot
3) Nice cat
4) Hold your breath....is better that way. :/

I'm thinking that should actually be "You're an idiot" but then again maybe that's why someone told you that? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom