What's the best suit for the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffMandell

Reaction score
I'm off in two weeks to dive in the Caribbean, where I understand the water temp is over 8o degrees. Would I be better off with a 1mm full body suit, to protect me from scrapes, rash, etc. in addition to keeping me a bit warm, OR a 3 mm shorty, for more warmth?

Hi Jeff,
My own experience with 80+ water temps has me using a 1 mm full suit, (as you pointed out-for protection from stings,etc.)with a 3mm vest added later in the week, doing 4 dives a day.
Your personal "cold tolerance" will be a factor, as will the number of dives per day,and the number of days you'll be diving.
Why not try a "search" on this topic-there are a lot of posts addressing it.

Good luck,and enjoy your trip
Mike

I have always been glad to have my 3mm full suit (even in 80+ degree water). I tend to get cold and often resort to a beanie on days when I am doing multiple dives. I feel the 3 mm is more versatile since I can unzip and vent it on the occasion that I get too warm but still have good thermal protection (not to mention the cover from abrasion, etc) when needed. Hope this helps.

Rich

I use a 3mm full body for all my diving in Carib, Central America and Barrier Reef. I use this mainly to protect from stings, scrapes, etc. as the days go on, the warmth helps too.

I prefer to be a bit cooler than warmer but have never found any problems being too hot in this suit in 80 degree water.

have fun.. david

around Cayman today we're getting temps of 84F up to 86F in certain areas. That's exceedingly warm.

Unless you get cold easily, I'd suggest the 1mm or skip the neoprene completely and opt for a lycra dive skin.

84-86!
Holy cow. How will I ever survive <s>?
Anyway, do you think the skins might not offer enough protection from abrasions and stings? I'd think 1mm would be better, but haven't dived with either so I welcome thoughts and suggestions. (I think a few companies make .5 mm suits too.)
Speaking of skin protection, btw, is the sea lice thing done for the season, and if not, is it as active on Little Cayman as on Grand C?

Sea lice is pretty much over on GC. I'd suspect the same on LC too.

If you are using basic care, I'd suspect that the dive skin would be sufficient to ward off the stray hydroid and the like.

As you can see the response varies but I will weigh in with 3mm suit. Better safe than sorry.

avg temp for most of my dives is around 82, and i tried wearing a 3mm a couple times and almost died of hotness.. i usually wear .5mm when i know there are a lot of jellyfish and current.. but if its some easy diving, i go in board shorts and a rashguard. sometimes when i hit a thermocline wearing that i get goosebumps but its all good cuz on the surface or boat you will be sweating like a pig! (well..for me, that is..)

In tropics I wear 2/3 mm full suit, lycra hood, 2mm gloves, and booties. Comfortable, protected, and warm, even while doing 4-5 dives a day.

Back
Top Bottom