What's the best suit for the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think the temp here is between 27-31C. i wear a fullsuit with booties and gloves, no hood.

my activities are typically low effort - lazy frog kicks for propulsion, photography, peeking at cleaning stations, staring at the clown fish, etc so i probably don't generate that much heat that the 3/2 would bother me.

on the boat ... i strip :D . if warm, i pour cooler fresh water into my wetsuit.

oh, when i hit thermoclines i sure can feel the difference.

So I use a SeaQuest 3/5/3 full suit. My first dive in 80 water was in swim trunks. Next was .5 mm and finally a 3mm. For a night dive in Fiji last year, I added a 5/4 hooded vest to the 3mm but really prefered having my head less constricted, but liked the warmth enought that I dived with it the rest of the week. When I 'came upon' the 3/5/3, I dumped the vest and have been warm ever since...even in 75F Cenotes...but never got hot.
YMMV

Otter

I brought a 1 mil and a 3 mil to Cozumel last month 80 deg. The 3 mil was too buoyant for me. I was plenty warm in the 1 mil. Several people were in t-shirts. With the 1 mil I had my buoyancy down to the point where I did not add any air to my BC at all.

Mmmmmmm Cozumel……

kingprawn once bubbled...
I brought a 1 mil and a 3 mil to Cozumel last month 80 deg. The 3 mil was too buoyant for me. I was plenty warm in the 1 mil. Several people were in t-shirts. With the 1 mil I had my buoyancy down to the point where I did not add any air to my BC at all.

Mmmmmmm Cozumel……

With a bouyancy swing of 5 pounds as you consume your
air (assuming 80cf), your bouyancy is not "down" if you
are not using your BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom