What's the best treasure you've found?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a dive computer once ... and then I found the guy who had lost it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You're really lucky Bob...

I found a 10W LED Titan Hydro light SCULA dive light in the cross under tunnel at Peacock Springs. They sold (and still sell) for around $550 so I asked around and left contact information at the local dive shops in Luraville and also posted it on three scuba diving boards but had no luck finding the owner.

The light was dead when I found it so I did not even know if it worked. After it went unclaimed I thought about it for a few more weeks, talked to the Titan people at DEMA about the light and its capabilities and a couple weeks later took the risk of investing $79 in a charger plus $35 for the glove they use with it. Fortunately when the charger arrived the light took a charge and it worked just fine, giving about 4 hours of burn time. Yay! Good news! An almost free cave diving light! Lucky Me!

Unfortunately that's not quite how it worked out...

About 10 dives later I found I really liked the light and preferred it to both my 12W LED Light Monkey and my 10W LED Dive Rite. Which is to say that I in no way needed another dive light, but I really liked it in every way except for the 4 hour burn time - which was just a bit too short for the two 2 to 2.5 hour long dives we normally do in cave country. So at Beneath the Sea I bought an 80Whr canister battery from the Titan folks (their demo model at the show) with a cord for it for $400. I now had a total of $514 invested in what was now an $1100 light with a 12 hour burn time - still pretty good deal, so Im still pretty happy.

About 2 dives later the light quit working...

I sent it in to Titan and they advised it was an early model with fully potted construction, so they could not fix it. *But* they could replace it for $400 - a pretty decent discount on a $550 light - and the new ones were non potted so if this one failed it would be repairable. At that point I had $514 invested in a new charger and battery with proprietary connections that would be useless. So I bought a new one for $400. The total investment was now $914 in a *free* dive light worth $1100, but at least I now owned a light that I REALLY liked, so it was not all bad news. However I didn't need it when I found it and never would have bought it or the accessories unless I'd found it in the cave for "free".

Free = $914 :confused:

In my more cynical/paranoid/comic moments I like to suspect Titan salted caves in N FL with life limited SCULAs to drum up business. What I've learned is to just ignore all similar "treasures" in the future because I just can't afford *free* stuff like that.

Most valuable...hmm

The U Va gold class ring - returned to owner thanks to his name being engraved in it and Facebook.

Actually, kinda lame, but found this last year. I thought it was pretty cool. Bottom of a lake in TX.

69176982864330984608.jpg

39413018798721556678.jpg

3 oars, one fin, WW II graves of Gorkha Rifles (local units didn't even know they existed before the construction of the Dam) with copper inscription, up turned kayak. a few stone tools, and fossil which looked more like a negative impression of a sea shell. as far as i remember

This trip, a nice Rosary and then on the next dive a very nice free dive type frameless mask with a good snorkel. I also found about 50 feet of monofiliment wrapped around a Hawksbill turtle flipper with a hook in his skin. The DM I was with wrestled the turtle and was able to remove the hook and I spooled the mono up on my arm.

N

i haven't found anything that i would consider special yet. however, considering how ppl have been mentioning weights, we do find alot of lead fishing sinkers at LBTS pier as well in Daina beach FL. One of my friends goes there takes a ton and then melts them in a dive weight mold when ever he needs some more weight.

My sanity and serenity = priceless

I was diving with a buddy in Malapascua. On a 32 meter dive at Monad Shoal, my friend lost a flash diffuser that he borrowed from one of the guys from the shop. The next day we went back on the same dive and he found the diffuser laying on the ocean floor in 32 meters of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom