Whats the biggest _____ you have ever seen on a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantas in the Similans. They came in flights, 12 to 14 feet across, an arms length away.

TSandM:
It was a Giant Pacific Octopus. I was so excited, I was pointing frantically with both hands at this THING sitting below me (as though my three companions couldn't see it) and I think I was squeaking through my regulator. I was still wound up 20 minutes later when we surfaced, and the first thing I said was, "Did you SEE that octopus?"

Huge Giant Pacific Octopus off sunrise beach Pugent Sound.

Scubak and Cold H20 took me to see him, they call him Grand Daddy, We were told he is over 12 feet in length, Also Huge Wolf Eel at sund Rock.

TSandM Are you familiar with Grand Daddy Octo up there?

I’m pretty new at this sooooo I’m still very easily impressed.
I too got to see the Giant Moray Eel. Was swimming, I followed it for about 5 minutes (v e r y impressed with girth, length, plain ole enormous size in general) until it entered a crevice in the lava shore wall. Took a bit of maneuvering in the heavy surge but finally got myself down into the crevice opening and my impression was that I was being extremely rude and the creature was considering the right to use lethal force to remove me from the premises. I backed out quietly (wishing I knew if like with some creatures you do or do not stare back at them) and as submissively as I could muster; that was how I felt so I just went with it. Once out, curiosity gained the upper hand and I just contemplated going back in, when it slid right out, indicated further ogling would not be tolerated and stared me right out and away. Found it again for the next 4 dives there (went there looking LOL) but refrained from dropping into the lair unannounced.
One day I ran across what I thought was 4 or 5 Cushion Stars jammed in together in the lava. It was just one star. I went and got another diver to take a look and on the surface asked what they thought about it. In deadpan the answer was; that had to be the Mother of all Cushion Stars.
However considering just overall size it’s the Mantas. Those Mantas are big, really big flying over and around close enough I get wing whumped. I was sitting out my ascend hang outside of the Circle of Light one night with my light tucked into my BC and three still came and rolled me around like a beach ball, that was the coolest encounter I’ve had.

whale sharks in mexico
i felt 2 inches big swimming next to one and then the next thing i know i have another next to me
i guess you could call it a whale shark sandwhich :wink:
my dad said from the boat i looked like a dot swimming between them

12 foot long big female sixgill shark...

Apparently it washed up on a beach dead a few months ago...

We ran into it at 100 fsw on a dark night dive. Both me and my buddy were swimming upslope side-by-side along a bunch of submerged dolphins (aka pilings, not the marine mammals). The shark decided to play chicken with my buddy and my buddy flinched first and got out of its way, and it went past close enough he could touch it and slipped off out into deeper water. It was in maximal stealth mode and it didn't seem like it moved a muscle as it swam past us, it just glided out deeper like some kind of living nuclear submarine with huge teeth...

We were on 30/30 as well, so we were all nice and crystal clear mentally with no warm fuzzy narcosis to blunt the effect...

Dark, creepy, cold, low viz and with huge 1,000 lbs sharks swimming around... that's puget sound for you...

EDIT: I guess it was 14 feet long:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/11154686/detail.html

ummmm..... seen a couple of dozen mantas at Yap that were pretty big

also seen bullsharks at Kurnell, approx 4-5ft and similar sized grey nurse sharks at magic point

cheers

This dude was a MONSTER, and damn hard to keep a hold on! LOL

crab.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom