What's the deal with H-Valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I really needed an H valve, I'd get a dual dip tube Y valve. Slightly improved redundancy, and a cleaner execution of the concept.

My "solution" was small doubles, a pair of lp 45's. True redundancy, and my "doubles" reg sets swamped directly.

Tobin

If I really needed an H valve, I'd get a dual dip tube Y valve. Slightly improved redundancy, and a cleaner execution of the concept.

Do dual dip tube Y valves actually exist in the sense that a diver could go out and purchase one? I've heard of them but have never seen one for sale anywhere.

My "solution" was small doubles, a pair of lp 45's. True redundancy, and my "doubles" reg sets swamped directly.

Common story. In my case I have a set of double LP72s.

It is my observation that very few people who actually own a twinset or two use H valves for anything. From a redundancy and logistics standpoint the only real drawback to twinsets is upfront cost.

There is also IMO much to be said for carrying a pony bottle on dives where some redundancy is advisable but a twinset isn't a strict requirement. Compared to an H valve arrangement, you don't have to change the valves on your primary cylinders, and you don't have to change your hoses around.

It is my observation that very few people who actually own a twinset or two use H valves for anything. From a redundancy and logistics standpoint the only real drawback to twinsets is upfront cost.

There is also IMO much to be said for carrying a pony bottle on dives where some redundancy is advisable but a twinset isn't a strict requirement. Compared to an H valve arrangement, you don't have to change the valves on your primary cylinders, and you don't have to change your hoses around.

I guess it depends on service costs (it is expensive here to keep a set of doubles tested and in oxygen service). A pony tank is not something I would look at to be honest - if I need a fully redundant tank (like ice or solo diving) I would take a deco cyclinder, but if you need redundancy for the regular dive use the doubles.

Who does that leave for H valves? Divers in that odd gray area between recreational and tech. It's a purgatory that few linger in.

I like my H-valves, and the statement above describes me perfectly.

I'm Naui TM2 trained, but stepped back from the deep stuff after about twenty tech dives. Now I dive mostly recreational, but I've found the redundancy ethos hard to part with. My dive group and I often dive cold-ish water (54-57f) wrecks in the 100 to 130 foot neighborhood. For those dives I use a couple single HP119s with H-valves. So far, they've worked very well for me.

I always dive with a buddy, and he will continue to be my first option in case of reg freeze-up, or other emergency. It's just a peace-of-mind thing to have my own independent back-up right there all the time at those depths.

The only downside to H-valves that I've found is they tend to snag more on the kelp. But at shallower depth where kelp is abundant I usually use smaller cylinders with standard valves..

I reserve the right to change my mind and switch back to standard valves, but for now I remain happily in purgatory with my H-valves.

K

Last edited:
Most of the dives I do when using my own tanks are in cold water between mid 30's and mid 40's but sometimes lower. I find H-valves useful for single tank dives using a large single. Small doubles would not give me enough gas for 2 dives in the 100 ft. plus range on a charter so I would need larger doubles that although I have I don't enjoy lugging them around unless I need the gas for a single dive.

I like my H-valves, and the statement above describes me perfectly.

I'm Naui TM2 trained, but stepped back from the deep stuff after about twenty tech dives. Now I dive mostly recreational, but I've found the redundancy ethos hard to part with. My dive group and I often dive cold-ish water (54-57f) wrecks in the 100 to 130 foot neighborhood. For those dives I use a couple single HP119s with H-valves. So far, they've worked very well for me.

I always dive with a buddy, and he will continue to be my first option in case of reg freeze-up, or other emergency. It's just a peace-of-mind thing to have my own independent back-up right there all the time at those depths.

The only downside to H-valves that I've found is they tend to snag more on the kelp. But at shallower depth where kelp is abundant I usually use smaller cylinders with standard valves..

I reserve the right to change my mind and switch back to standard valves, but for now I remain happily in purgatory with my H-valves.

K

The good news is you "Unicorns" should never have to pay retail for H valves. :)

Tobin

The good news is you "Unicorns" should never have to pay retail for H valves. :)

Tobin

That's pretty much true for manifolds too, and backplate too. I think I'm sitting on two spare manifolds right now, just because they were dirt cheap.

..and I sold off the two Y valves I had a while back. (Yoke). I might have kept them around if they were then Beuchat DIN versions..

Do dual dip tube Y valves actually exist in the sense that a diver could go out and purchase one? I've heard of them but have never seen one for sale anywhere.

Sure. Mine look like this: (any resemblance to iso bar doubles manifold is purely coincidental)

SEE-MODABD-300.jpg

I kinda lost interest in real Y valves once I went to genuine doubles, but I'd guess Y valves are easier to find in 25mm than 3/4 Straight.

Tobin

They were made by Beuchat. I don't think they are made anymore, but they pop up here and there on CL and fleaBay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom