whats the deal with nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THe breathing trigger is CO2 with the O2 level only contributing a bit. Whether you need the O2 or not irrelevant to a system that is based on purging CO2. Your body actually will metabolize the extra O2 and produce more CO2, possibly making you feel like breathing faster. Nothing is as simple as it seems... especially under hyperbaric conditions. Extrapolations and suppositions often fail, as our bodies can react in sometimes unforseen ways.

BTW, DAN recommends NitrOx for those over 40. You don't have to offgas what you didn't ongas. I sometimes even use NitrOx for pool sessions.

Michael Schlink:
If Nitrox is indeed "safer" why isn't it the gas we start new divers out on. I have proposed that when training new divers that they be started on Nitrox right out of the gate. Tell them come h#*l or high water don't go below, say 110 with 32% and train them with proper gas planning and mgmt. Is this crazy or not-what do you think

Great point. IANTD lets me do just that. I can teach OW and nitrox at the same time.

I prefer to do it that way not because of a safety factor in the class but because of the POTENTIAL advantage on the students first Cozumal dive trip. Up until recently though I've given students the choice.

As they say...knowledge is power. Well if you use it well it is. LOL

Oh, and I've always been for teaching gas management. About the only thing that can really hurt us underwater is not having anything to breath. IMO, your proposal isn't at all crazy. Any one who has made their way through the public school system can do it easily.

NetDoc:
BTW, DAN recommends NitrOx for those over 40. You don't have to offgas what you didn't ongas. I sometimes even use NitrOx for pool sessions.

Don't you hate that over 40 stuff?

If you're over 40 "this" and if you're over 40 "that".

I remember when I couldn't wait til I was 21 so my age wouldn't be held against me. Oh well, you know what they say? Be careful what you wish for. LOL

Mike,

I also predominately teach NitrOx with OW. It just fits nicely into my teaching regimen.

And yes, I hate the "over 40" stuff, but it sure beats the alternative. :D

MikeFerrara:
Don't you hate that over 40 stuff?

If you're over 40 "this" and if you're over 40 "that".

I remember when I couldn't wait til I was 21 so my age wouldn't be held against me. Oh well, you know what they say? Be careful what you wish for. LOL
NetDoc:
And yes, I hate the "over 40" stuff, but it sure beats the alternative. :D
As a concerned 52 year old reading this thread I'm beginning to get a feeling that some people might consider my age 'old'!! Well young laddies, let me tell you this: You're only as old as the woman you feel. Besides - you are all heading in my direction anyway - don't panic - it's really not so bad!:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom