What's the deal with the "Advanced Nitrox" certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my Adv Nitrox & Deco earlier this year via TDI, enjoyed it a lot - great course, when you're ready for it

I have a couple of thoughts to add that I don't think have been covered:

1. Someone mentioned carrying more than 1 stage bottles for practice, one with 50% and one with 100%, and only using the 50%. I understand wanting practice slinging more than one bottle, but wouldn't it be safer to have 50% in both, so you don't have to worry about changing to the wrong one?

2. For my Adv. Nitrox I was also offered the chance to do a blend - so maybe that's an added advantage to doing the course, depending on the instructor/shop you do it with

I did my Adv Nitrox & Deco earlier this year via TDI, enjoyed it a lot - great course, when you're ready for it

I have a couple of thoughts to add that I don't think have been covered:

1. Someone mentioned carrying more than 1 stage bottles for practice, one with 50% and one with 100%, and only using the 50%. I understand wanting practice slinging more than one bottle, but wouldn't it be safer to have 50% in both, so you don't have to worry about changing to the wrong one?

2. For my Adv. Nitrox I was also offered the chance to do a blend - so maybe that's an added advantage to doing the course, depending on the instructor/shop you do it with

Hi there... appreciate the feedback... Did you do your course in Australia? We have some awesome instructors down there. In any event check out this to see one method to ally worries about switching gas... BLOG

Hi Steve,

I did my course with Mark Cox TDI#6248 in Puerto Galera, PI - can't say enough about this guy both as an instructor and a friend

I read your link, but stand by my earlier comments regarding someone who is carrying two bottles of different mix but only planning to use one - interested to hear your thoughts if they differ

I'm also keen to hear your opinion on the 'left lean - right rich' mounting of stage bottles? (sorry to drag the thread off topic - feel free to PM)

Cheers

S.

Proper labeling and awareness of your deco bottles is important. Shouldn't that be part of training, even if the diver only uses one bottle??

Naturally

All I'm saying is why have different mixes when you're only going to use one - dunno, seems simpler to me to have the same

And labelling and buddy ID is great if you're diving with a buddy; seems to me lean left and rich right is easier if you're soloing

Happy to hear wiser thoughts as always :)

And labelling and buddy ID is great if you're diving with a buddy; seems to me lean left and rich right is easier if you're soloing

Happy to hear wiser thoughts as always :)

Answers to a few questions... wearing extra stages can be task loading but that's precisely how a diver builds facility with multiple bottles. As long as the progression is slow and done in a controlled environment.

(I should add that the only time I wear a stage on my right is if it contains bottom mix... )

I feel that relying on the position of bottles to determine their contents and MOD is less than best practice... it's dangerous. The piece on my blog says it all... MOD has to be marked after mix is analyzed and has to be checked before being breathed. If a diver wears bottles on either side AND checks MOD... ok but wearing a bottle on either side brings with it some issues deploying the long hose and clutters the diver's right side... this engenders all kinds of configuration problems which are simply not worth the bother.

I believe that although every team member must be capable of finishing the dive alone, better results from being part of a team.

AND TDI does not sanction solo diving at all. Our sister agency SDI offers a solo diver specialty but makes it clear that solo diving is not for overhead or staged deco exposures.

I use the L and R method of bottle placement.....for me it is a better fit and much easier to handle. I have no issue with long hose deployment///team confusion or any of the other common issues offered up by the L only divers. I should mention I started off on the L side only....and after finding it not the best for me made the switch. ALWAYS follow proper gas switch protocols in terms of MOD/mix verification regardless of whether you kit L only or L/R. Do what works for you best, being flexible and understanding to all views.

As to doing training dives with several bottles in a NDL profile with differing mixes I see no problems, I conduct many a dive like this for training and practice.....many times including simulated deco. Never become complacent.

As an active solo diver I conduct some deep water mixed gas solo dives, so it is imperative I be spot-on on my gas switches....and this I carry over to buddy and team dives. Practice and doing is the key to development.

If you are carrying two bottles to get used to doing it for more advanced classes, you will have to learn how to differentiate between the two gasses. I guess if you wanted for the first couple of practice dives you could carry two bottles of the same gas but...tis better to learn how to do it properly.

As others have said you shouldn't use positioning of the bottles to remember what the gas is (ie, right is rich) or something like that. Bottles should be very clearly marked and the valves should be shut down. Find your bottle. Deploy the reg. Turn the bottle on...if you can breathe you have got the right one. Make sure to confirm the switch with your partner before starting, that way they can keep an eye on you during the switch.

As others have said you shouldn't use positioning of the bottles to remember what the gas is (ie, right is rich) or something like that. Bottles should be very clearly marked and the valves should be shut down.

This goes without saying.....but must be remembered that it applies equally as well to divers whom choose to sling all bottle on their L side.....for most of those divers the top bottle is the first to be used, still they must be labeled and verified, just as we whom deploy slung bottles L & R (lean/rich) must verify, anything short of this protocol can ruin your day.

Yeah, I actually sling one on either side as well :)

When I dive for the state doing shipwreck surveys they make us put a mouth cover over the O2 reg. It's state regulations I guess, it is supposed to be a final check or something like that if you are about to do something dumb.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom