Question What's the expected lifespan of a HP/LP hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've had 3 hoses that really aren't that old go out on me in the last 3 months. It's never been catastrophic, just a small line of bubbles from the crimp. I don't bend my hoses in any particular way that should warrant that.. so what gives? I don't leave them "out" in the elements at all. I won't say where I bought them as I think that's irrelevant. That place doesn't make hoses, they just resell them. So that begs the question. How long do you expect a hose to last? I have a 24" HP hose that's every bit of 10 years old as it was a hand me down and it's right as rain. I would think "replace as necessary" for hoses, but all the hoses that leaked were less than 2 years old? (One might have been 3). Do you have a set timeline to replace hoses?

I’ve read replace every five years, but can’t remember where I read that.

You can get crappy hoses. I’ve had newish ones start leaking on me. It’s why you keep spares.

Synthetic and braided hoses seem to have a limited lifespan in my experience, rubber hoses just keep on going for many years (several of mine are older than 30 years old and still in use.)

Michael

All my hoses are rubber.. I'm just not keen on the braided stuff. The 3 that leaked were all rubber..

All my hoses are rubber.. I'm just not keen on the braided stuff. The 3 that leaked were all rubber..
I have some that leak in a matter of months and some that last decades. So expected life is months to decades for me lol

I have some that leak in a matter of months and some that last decades. So expected life is months to decades for me lol

Well at least I'm not the only one... when my long hose started bubbling (which was # 3 in 3 months) I was like "you've got to be ******* kidding me":D.

If it's normal and just luck of the draw then it is what it is.

Well at least I'm not the only one... when my long hose started bubbling (which was # 3 in 3 months) I was like "you've got to be ******* kidding me":D.

If it's normal and just luck of the draw then it is what it is.
I have had good luck with the piranah hoses.

I've had 3 hoses that really aren't that old go out on me in the last 3 months. It's never been catastrophic, just a small line of bubbles from the crimp. I don't bend my hoses in any particular way that should warrant that.. so what gives? I don't leave them "out" in the elements at all. I won't say where I bought them as I think that's irrelevant. That place doesn't make hoses, they just resell them. So that begs the question. How long do you expect a hose to last? I have a 24" HP hose that's every bit of 10 years old as it was a hand me down and it's right as rain. I would think "replace as necessary" for hoses, but all the hoses that leaked were less than 2 years old? (One might have been 3). Do you have a set timeline to replace hoses?

My hoses are of the highest quality, Scubapro and Atomic, and they last forever, I don't use cheap hoses (or anything else in dive equipment) :p

I had Miflex but I switched back to rubber and only buy from SP now and no issues.

I had Miflex but I switched back to rubber and only buy from SP now and no issues.
the braided are definitely less reliable.

I havent had too many rubber hoses fail but it's not exactly hot here

I’ve read replace every five years, but can’t remember where I read that.
Miflex's web site says the replacement interval for Xtreme braided hoses is every 5 years (of course, this doesn't cover all manufacturers, or even Miflex's other hoses):
https://www.miflex.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Miflex-Xtreme-Istruzioni-Ita-Ger-Ing-2018.pdf

DGX recommends replacing hoses every 5 years/500 dives, as well:
Hoses for SCUBA

ScubaPro's reg manual also recommends replacing hoses every 5 years/500 dives:
https://johnsonoutdoors.widen.net/c..._17642_RevM_Reg_Manual_202107_EN.pdf?u=trjrhb

Not exactly universally applicable, but they are three data points.

Back
Top Bottom