Question What's the expected lifespan of a HP/LP hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @DogDiver For the type of diving you do, I can certainly understand your concern. For the type of diving I do your schedule is on the conservative side. I'd love to have your discards. I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping if you'd send them to me. PM/DM or whatever we are using today for messages please.
Sorry, when I change out hoses, they are taken out of service and destroyed. That’s the instructor and cave diver mentality speaking.

Sorry, when I change out hoses, they are taken out of service and destroyed. That’s the instructor and cave diver mentality speaking.

But @Couv isn't in caves or under rocks? That mentality is 100% fine... for you and caves.

That's like the guy that drives for Nascar throwing away his tires that have 70% tread left because he drives for Nascar!

And the end of the day your hoses, your rules. But that's a silly podium to stand on when they'll last for a lot longer and could be put to good use on recreational dives. (just my opinion)... most of us don't drive for Nascar or dive in caves!

That is also why you should look at your hoses once in a while and inspect the crimp area, its usually very obvious if its going to be a catastrophic failure, especially if it's been in service for a while and not a new hose,
In general a small amount of small bubbles from the tiny bleed hoses is not a huge risk, and need to turn a dive,
But will need replacement...
Hair line cracks in the rubber is something to pay attention to,
That said hp hoses are more critical for inspection in my opinion.
Lp hoses are less so but it can have catastrophic air loss as well.
Just chucking hoses that don't leak and in good shape is very wasteful.
I will take them off you hands anyday. I don't mind having as many as happydiver.
I do my best to recycle,

I too have heard that five year recommendation, from various manufacturers — and have had my fair share of braided HP MiFlex hose failures over the years; just don’t use them any longer, and I now religiously inspect everything on a regular basis.

That said, I still have some original, pristine Poseidon Cyklon 300 LP hoses which date from the eighties and earlier — still in use —with that odd one-eighth inch "British Railroad Thread" for the first stages, meant for sealing against nylon gaskets, which also last for decades, in lieu of comparatively perishable o-rings . . .

Attachments

• F6F47678-3DF5-49C9-B4F6-E69E80D1C615.jpeg
    F6F47678-3DF5-49C9-B4F6-E69E80D1C615.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 47
Thank you @DogDiver . I remember seeing that in the DAN mag a while back. However, what is missing is the inspection criteria-especially how to spot a counterfeit hose. It's not much help to replace a perfectly good hose with one that will deteriorate shortly afterwards. If you have any hints as to how to spot a counterfeit please share.

Yes, one can say "buy from a reputable dealer" but somehow these polyester hoses made their way into the market

Cheers,

Couv

Railroad thread

That's a new one for me.

I don't understand with low pressure hoses,
Shop air hoses last very well and take way more abuse, and don't leak, and fall apart inside the hose,
Even fuel hose that has gas in it lasts,
Although braided OEM fuel line that usually comes from Europe is totally trash. It weeps all the time.

Rubber hoses, I get at least 5 years from them. Braided hoses are a crapshoot. LP braided I get a couple of years, HP braided I have never seen over a year.
That's a new one for me.

I don't understand with low pressure hoses,
Shop air hoses last very well and take way more abuse, and don't leak, and fall apart inside the hose,
Even fuel hose that has gas in it lasts,
Although braided OEM fuel line that usually comes from Europe is totally trash. It weeps all the time.
What air hoses are you using? I change out probably 100 air hoses per year in my shop. It all stems from abuse, but that is the cause of most failures in anything.

What air hoses are you using? I change out probably 100 air hoses per year in my shop. It all stems from abuse, but that is the cause of most failures in anything

Nothing special, I have PVC ish ones that are a bit of a pain in the cold,
I have rubber ones and hybrid ones,
Depending on if it has good stain reliefs hardly have crimp problems.
But if a towmotor drives over the hoses your going to have problems...
But I do use alot of hose reels, so that may help..

I get this really nice yellow flexible hose from my hydraulic guys, I have made my own custom long hose, I love it,

Nothing special, I have PVC ish ones that are a bit of a pain in the cold,
I have rubber ones and hybrid ones,
Depending on if it has good stain reliefs hardly have crimp problems.
But if a towmotor drives over the hoses your going to have problems...
But I do use alot of hose reels, so that may help..

I get this really nice yellow flexible hose from my hydraulic guys, I have made my own custom long hose, I love it,
Our stuff is all on reels, but they still get ran over by tractors, trailers, and forklifts hundreds of times per day.
If I ever got a year from an air hose, I would buy all they made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom