What's the most popular tank size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

somewhereinla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am about to buy my first tank, not very experienced with scuba diving... So my question is what's the most popular size? is it the 80 cf? Should I go HP or LP? What do most people use? I just want to make sure I don't run out of air before my buddy is ready to come up... don't want to spoil the fun so to speak... I am 6ft 215lbs.
so far I have been fairly relax when I dive, so my air consumption is low to average (not a heavy breather).

My personal opinion--remember: personal--is that you should buy a high pressure steel 80 or 100.

The most popular tank is probably the aluminum 80. It's not a bad starter tank, but if you can afford the slightly higher purchase price, I'd go steel given its favorable buoyancy characteristics. 100cf will get you more gas obviously, with a package that is often somewhat equivalent in overall dimensions to an AL80 (depending on the manufacturer). Make sure though, that you're willing to handle the extra size and weight out of the water if you get the 100.

If you already own your regulator set, keep in mind that you might need to convert it to DIN for high pressure steel if you have a yoke setup.

Good luck!

Just remember, the most popular does not mean its the best for you.

I like steel tanks myself. There's another thread about a steel 77 for just a little of the price of an Al 80. That might be your choice.

A couple of thoughts. First, unless you dive quite a bit, is a tank really something worth having? Between the purchase price and the anual cost of vips and hydros, it can take a lot of diving to break even renting tanks. If you do feel you can justify the cost of ownership, then you are really going to need at least 2. It is nice having a tank ready when you want it but for a lot of divers it's the last piece of equipment they should consider buying.

The most popular is the Aluminum 80. If you do allot of tropical vacation diving most boats provide Aluminum 80's. When I purchased tanks I considered steels but ultimately went with the AL80's because I would then be used to it's size and bouyancy properties when I was diving a charter somewhere else. If you have decent air consuption rate it's plenty of air for most recreational diving.

The most popular size seems to be "BIGGER". That's what everyone is always asking for...

The AL80 is popular for many reasons and makes a good tank. I see you have gotten a piece of advice to purchase a steel HP80. At 6' tall, that little thing will stand you on your head, or you'll have to put it so low on your back you can't reach the valve. You're going to want a tank about 24-27" long at your height.

I see you also got some advice about not buying a tank unless you're diving a lot. Gotta agree with that. For most divers, renting is a better deal. I don't know the break even point for you, or maybe you're like me and simply don't care. I just wanted my own tanks and bought them. I didn't know I'd be doing 75+ dives a year.

Best of luck.

in_cavediver:
I like steel tanks myself. There's another thread about a steel 77 for just a little of the price of an Al 80. That might be your choice.

That's actually what I was thinking to get.

A couple of thoughts. First, unless you dive quite a bit, is a tank really something worth having?

I agree, it may not. But I do like having my own equipment, actually I should say I like taking care of my own equipment. I do plan to dive quite a bit in the future, living in L.A makes it easy. And I do own my reg. and BC already.

You're going to want a tank about 24-27" long at your height

Interesting...Didn't think of that. Glad I asked.

Perrone brings up some really good points - especially about tank height. You actually weigh less than I do and are about 8" taller, so a taller tank will serve you well. Steel will help offset the need for lead and its my experience it seems to give a more balanced overall dive.

AL80 is the most popular incidentally.

Question to ponder - will your dives be at pretty resort destinations and you'll be diving their tanks as often as yours or will you be more localized and providing your own gear. If more localized, to heck with diving with what the resorts will offer, its your comfort ultimately. :)

somewhereinla:
I am about to buy my first tank, not very experienced with scuba diving... So my question is what's the most popular size? is it the 80 cf? Should I go HP or LP? What do most people use? I just want to make sure I don't run out of air before my buddy is ready to come up... don't want to spoil the fun so to speak... I am 6ft 215lbs.
so far I have been fairly relax when I dive, so my air consumption is low to average (not a heavy breather).

So I assume you are diving mainly in California, and so a tank purchase is not a stupid idea assuming your are doing some shore diving, or that renting on the boat is going to run you $10~15 more per dive. I purchased two AL80's for ONE reason, and that is because while I certainly can rent tanks cheaply it's a pain in the tail to hit the LDS either the day before a dive, and then the day after. If I go down to NM for the weekend, I end up paying a three day rental fee, and now that adds up quickly. If your LDS is on the way to the Dive site, or near the dive site, and the hours work out for your diving, maybe buying tanks is not necessary.

The CHEAPEST tanks are AL80's, AND they are the most popular. If you are doing deeper profiles that tend to be flat, and are diving Nitrox a Steel 100 (about the size of an 80) is a good choice. However Perrone brought up a good point in tank size and trim, and you may need to dive some different tanks to see if what works for you.

If you are a reasonable breather, than an AL80 works for most dives. OTOH, more air is NEVER a bad thing. It's also not a one or the other thing, you could purchase a HP Steel, and an AL80 to use as conditions and profiles dictate.

If you're considering AL80 vs HP steel 100, they're similar in size and weight (not buoyancy). However, a HP steel 120 is longer and a bit heavier, and I find it a perfect match for SoCal drysuit diving. Better to put more weight on the back, the length is perfect for my 6' 1", and it's got 50% more air than the AL80 when you can find a shop or boat compressor that can handle the full 3,500 psi.

So if you're at all considering a HP steel 100, give a 120 a try as well.

Back
Top Bottom