What’s the most random or awesome thing you’ve found on a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OW instructor and I found a no smoking sign far from the shore in about 40ft of water. It was debris from a hurricane from about 9 months before. He put it in his pocket and when we got back to the beach, he put it up on the gear storage cabinet.

A safe that had been ripped out of a wall and obviously disposed in a lake.

Apart from the obvious unexpected wildlife, Nothing but trash. I'm still a little jealous of the photos of my old man bringing up a canon they stumbled across.

I am a cave diver. Was diving in a Mexico cave at about 35 minutes in and at about 40 feet of water there is a cookie (marker) that says “Paw Prints”. There are paw prints in the silt. They are from what looks like a cat. Like a cat you would have at home. Now google “when we’re ocean levels 40 feet lower” and that is at least how old those paw prints are.

Many of our shore dive sites are also popular recreational fishing sites. There is no reason why this should create a conflict but sometimes it does. Some fishermen get really angry and abusive accusing us of scaring off THEIR fish. :rant:We just want to get in and away from their lines as quickly as possible. I have tried explaining that if we scared the fish away there would be no point in us diving..:facepalm: Of course they don't understand or care that there are certain requirements for safe entry/exits.

One day we ran the gauntlet of some particularly abusive fishermen. During the dive we collected quite a number of items dropped by fishermen. Standard stuff such as filleting knives, a fishing rod with reel attached in good condition, heaps of sinkers and lures but best of all was a new fish landing net. The net still had the bar code sticker on it. At the end of the dive we surfaced near the fishermen discussing our finds. We chatted about how it was too bad there were no nice fishermen around to give the stuff to so we would have the hassle of finding someone to give it to. :laughrant::poke:

My brother collects old bottles. On a dive I found a beer bottle with the year of his birth imprinted in the bottom of it. Everyone thought I was crazy paying $35 to send it to him in Canada for Chirstmas but he was absolutley thrilled and treasures it to this day :rofl3:

We were diving in an area where a lot of visiting yachts temporarily anchor.

At about forty feet on a sandy bottom my buddy came across a large brass plant stand that must have fallen off one of the yachts. It’s about thirteen inches high, and depicts the three see-speak-hear-no-evil monkeys sitting in a circle. Each monkey has one hand extend over his head to support a plant. It weighs about twelve pounds, and is done in a kind of retro 1930’s style.
It’s really beautiful, I think.

My buddy picked this treasure out of the sand, and carried it for the rest of the dive. With great effort he was even able bring this heavy chunk of brass all the way back to shore.

Maybe he was sick of it by that point, or perhaps he noticed how I kept looking at it. Because for some unspoken reason, after all that effort, he just gave it to me.

Today it sits by my fireplace.
It will forever remind me of a great day of diving, and a very kind generous friend.

K.

I'd like to see a photo of it please

I've never found anything of value, however, have found a man's silver ring band that I quite like. Unfortunately, it is split in half at what might be a soldering point. I also found a hematite band and it's in excellent shape.
Then, I found something of value to me. Please don't laugh. It's the cutest ponytail elastic. Has big pearl bobbles on it. I wear it almost eveyday. I've looked everywhere and have never been able to find another like it or even similar.

upload_2019-8-2_12-39-5.jpeg

Cement mixer (engine missing :( ) lying at about 20m depth and interestingly quite far from shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom