What's THE place to dive in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trick is, and I'll bet you christi will have my back on this one, is communication with your Divemaster, or mistress as the case may be. If all you have are turtles on the brian, tell us, and we'll do our best to take you to a place where you're more than likely to see one. If an octopus is your bag, let us know, we'll take you night diving.

Discuss your wants, needs and of course experience level and you'll always have a better dive.

I have a small handful of favorites, but they are all dives I would like to do for various reasons and one doesn't really stand out from the rest because they are all different. Samta Rosa wall, Columbia Shallows, Delihla (sp?), Paradise and I'm sure my wife would remind me of a couple "must do's".

We rarely have to request these sites either, usually during the corse of the week the DM will suggest them as a short list of sites that look good for the day.

Definately listen to your DM's, they dive these waters all the time and know where to go. Just let them know what you like to do and see on a dive, (swim-thru's, walls, formations, sharks, rays, baracuda, sea horses...) and they'll do thier best to hook you up.

so, here's the recipe for finding a good dive spot in Coz,

1. stand on the shore with your back to the land
2.extend one arm to the side, parallel to the beach and point finger
3. sweep arm in a 180 degree motion moving out to sea and back to the beach line at opposite shoulder....

4. ALL THAT'S GOOD DIVING!:D

You don't really have to worry that much about where to dive - it's all good. Rather, I would focus on finding the right dive operator - the choices are many.

Good luck - you're going to have a great time!

Maredsous:
You don't really have to worry that much about where to dive - it's all good. Rather, I would focus on finding the right dive operator - the choices are many.

Good luck - you're going to have a great time!

Great advice--ditto. The dive op can make all the difference in the world as to what kind of experience you'll have while diving Coz. Have fun!

Ron Brandt:
If you are really expereinced head north to Barracuda and enjoy the eagle rays early in the morning....

Ron

Not in November, which is when he is going...too early in the season for the squadrons.

The trick is, and I'll bet you christi will have my back on this one, is communication with your Divemaster, or mistress as the case may be. If all you have are turtles on the brian, tell us, and we'll do our best to take you to a place where you're more than likely to see one. If an octopus is your bag, let us know, we'll take you night diving.

Discuss your wants, needs and of course experience level and you'll always have a better dive.

I agree 1000% Laura!

Get a good Dive Operator, break up your group 15 is to many in one place, of course a good Operator will do that anyway. Listen to the divemaster briefing ask questions if you don't understand, follow him/her stay off the bottom, don't touch anything, DON'T SWIM ride the current and just steer a little with your fins and a slight lean of your shoulders. You can't see it all in one dive so enjoy what you are passing over and you will get max. bottom time. Swimming back and forth and against the current will get you on the surface real fast.
ALL of Cozumel is the "PLACE"

LOU

There are lots of good dive sites, and it does depend on what you are looking for, but here goes anyway, with a bit of discussion of why. I've picked one deep site and one shallow site. Deep site: Palancar Caves. You will not see the greatest concentrations of fish and other life here, but you will be swimming between towering stands of coral. There are a number of swim-throughs. You are often out of the current and can take your time to enjoy things. This is one of the classic Cozumel dives and really shows off what Cozumel is known for: the reefs. That doesn't mean there aren't any critters. A divemaster found a pipehorse on the sand for us once at 80 ft. There are lots of fish up on top of the reef, we've seen turtles there before, and I got a great photo of a banded coral shrimp in a yellow tube sponge once. But you can see all those animals somewhere else - the reef is all Cozumel. Shallow site: Columbia Shallows. One of the best 30-ft. dives anywhere. Saw my first mantis shrimp on this site, lots of butterfly fish, angels, and parrotfish of all sorts. It's not dived quite as much as sites further north, like Chankanaab and Paradise, so it seems to be in better shape. I haven't yet been to the famous southern sites like Punta Sur and Maracaibo, so I may change my mind after I see them. But if I had to choose only two sites to dive in Cozumel, those are the ones I would pick.

If they will go that far go out to the lighthouse. Ive been there three times and only saw it once. Rent a motor scooter and go to the Bob Marley bar. Have fun.

For the sake of those that care about you, don't rent a scooter. Rent a car and have a designated driver or negotiate a price with a taxi to take you to the west side, drink to your heart's content and get them to bring you back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom