What's the small strap above your tank strap for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use it to mark my BCD height on my tank until my dive buddy decided to help me switch tanks and undone it. I asked did you let out my strap and he said yes. I replied that is how I mark the placement of my BCD on my tank. LOL had take few more minutes and readjust. BTW I have actually seen the safety strap used to keep the tank from hitting the ground when the cam strap was too loose.

I use it to mark my BCD height on my tank until my dive buddy decided to help me switch tanks and undone it. I asked did you let out my strap and he said yes. I replied that is how I mark the placement of my BCD on my tank. LOL had take few more minutes and readjust. BTW I have actually seen the safety strap used to keep the tank from hitting the ground when the cam strap was too loose.

And that's why that silly/small strap is there for.:D

:shakehead:

The strap has a double function.

2.Most important.(it's called a safety strap),it will catch your tank when not fastening your tank,(as you should)thus preventing your tank slipping away and preventing your reg.hoses getting to short.Believe it or not,this is what it's there for.):D

Tanks tend to slip down, not up, when they aren't secured. I'm having a hard time figuring how a strap around the valve would prevent that. This strap is used to hang the BCD at the correct height while the bands are tightened and as a handle when off the tank. You can see this strap near the valve in this pic:

1432632_25495_raw.jpg

Then, there's the narrow safety strap that captures the tank pretty much the same as the bands would. It's no better or worse a handle or height gauge than the bands are, but they will keep a tank in place if they are adjusted properly.

Single bands are less than ideal, imo. They aren't as secure and I've seen to many people swimming around with their first stage somewhere near their ass after the tanks escapes the band.

Tanks tend to slip down, not up, when they aren't secured. I'm having a hard time figuring how a strap around the valve would prevent that. This strap is used to hang the BCD at the correct height while the bands are tightened and as a handle when off the tank. You can see this strap near the valve in this pic:

And because they slip down,you use the safety strap.Preventing the tank to slip down and thus preventing "shortening"your hoses.
Don't see what you don't understand.:confused:

Single bands are less than ideal, imo. They aren't as secure and I've seen to many people swimming around with their first stage somewhere near their ass after the tanks escapes the band.

IMO just a bandaid,NON of my OW students EVER needed a double camband to secure a tank.

But I did see expereanced divers let a tank slip on a dive because they didn't use or know how to use the safety strap.

And because they slip down,you use the safety strap.Preventing the tank to slip down and thus preventing "shortening"your hoses.
Don't see what you don't understand.:confused:

I don't understand how a safety strap would be used to set BCD height. I don't understand how a safety strap used as means to set BCD height can keep a tank from slipping out.
IMO just a bandaid,NON of my OW students EVER needed a double camband to secure a tank.

But I did see expereanced divers let a tank slip on a dive because they didn't use or know how to use the safety strap.

Double bands provide a more robust attachment. It's not so much about slippage, it's about stability of the tank. Grab a pencil in the center with two finger, then push at the top or bottom. Now, grab it at the top and bottom and use your nose to push it... More stable, no?

I'd consider the safety strap more a bandaid than double bands, even if the purpose of double bands was to be a fail safe for shoddy gear assembly....

b
I'd consider the safety strap more a bandaid than double bands, even if the purpose of double bands was to be a fail safe for shoddy gear assembly....

I DO agree on the last one,It's an other bandaid.
But IMO so is the double camband,I don't agree with your pencil example.It's not more stable,it's just more secure.
But hey we all have our opinions.:D

BTW your BC looks like a softpack(no hard backplate) so you just need two to keep your BC in shape.

I don't understand how a safety strap would be used to set BCD height. I don't understand how a safety strap used as means to set BCD height can keep a tank from slipping out.

Easy,the strap is adjustable (with a buckle)so it can be adjusted to YOUR preferred setting of hight.But it will also prevent the tank from slipping down when the camband is not secure.

BTW your BC looks like a softpack(no hard backplate) so you just need two to keep your BC in shape.

Crap, that's not me. I don't use safety straps, tank hangers or jacket BCDs. Not that there's anything wrongs with that ****.

Crap, that's not me. I don't use safety straps, tank hangers or jacket BCDs. Not that there's anything wrongs with that ****.

:shocked2::shocked2: You mean to say you posted a pic,NOT depidcting YOU.:shakehead:

:rofl3:You'd better come clean ASAP.:D

Had I posted a pic of me in this thread, it would have been this one:
bite-me.jpg

oops, that's not me either.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom