What's the trick to the giant stride?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all! Back from my travels...

So, the last time I did a giant stride into the ocean, my tank hit the side of the boat, hard. Fortunately it didn't hit me, and the tank stayed in the bands, so I was able to continue my dive after a quick check to make sure everything was OK. It was scary, though. It was an AL100, so it was awfully long, and I'm only 5' 6". There were also swells (maybe 2-4 feet), and I have a feeling I probably timed the step poorly. What are the tricks to getting far enough from the boat with the giant stride?

A larger step should fix the problem. You need to literally take a large step. This means that you back foot will always be farther back than your tank. Also, do not lean back in anyway. You want to basically fall into the water with your legs spread apart. This will ensure you are far from the boat but also reduce the depth you reach before you bob to the surface again.

With respect to the swells, that means you need to time your entry. I have never had to pay that close attention to a giant stride but I would suspect if you step off as the boat is on the downward swing, you should be closer to the water and in the water before the boat comes back up. Remember the large/giant stride though.....don't try to just fall straight off.

Remember, it's a stride, not a bunny-hop. The trouble I've seen is swim platforms too close to the water and hanging the lead fin and tripping, and folks trying to bunny-hop off. The first problem is resolved with timing, the second with a giant stride. I like to step off a low platform when the boat is on its way up so my fin tip doesn't catch when I stride in. My following fin often catches, however, and I end up in the water with my legs spread which can result in some discomfort. If it's really a hard boat to get off of, I'll just twist sideways and fall over, hitting the water tank first or hip first.

If you are jumping off of a liveaboard from 6 feet, look up, look out, step off. In 15 years <knocks wood> I've never had anyone smash their tank into the boat.

Hi all! Back from my travels...

So, the last time I did a giant stride into the ocean, my tank hit the side of the boat, hard. Fortunately it didn't hit me, and the tank stayed in the bands, so I was able to continue my dive after a quick check to make sure everything was OK. It was scary, though. It was an AL100, so it was awfully long, and I'm only 5' 6". There were also swells (maybe 2-4 feet), and I have a feeling I probably timed the step poorly. What are the tricks to getting far enough from the boat with the giant stride?

No tricks actually. The leg that's still in contact with the boat needs to be stiff enough to get your tank past the edge of the boat, since anything that happens after you lose contact with the boat is mostly just "falling".

The boat crew should have some good tips on not getting hurt, since they do this all the time, and it depends on where you're exiting the boat and how the boat is configured (ladders, etc.)

flots.

The trick is that it is not a jump, but a stride. Like taking a very very long step away from the boat.

The second thing is, if conditions are rough, to keep an eye on how the boat is moving so you can step away from the boat as it is near (not at) the end of a motion in the direction you want to go - not at the beginning. If you step as the boat is nearing the end of its motion that means that as you stride it will start back away from you as you go into the water. Do it the other way and the boat may follow you as you step away and smack you if you don't get far enough away.

Other than remembering to push away with the rear foot firmly to make sure you clear the boat the only other thing I would suggest is to step off as the boat starts the downwards movement into the swell or as it is partway down.

Don't time your step for the bottom point of the swell. If you do try to step off at the bottom of the swell the boat will have already started to come back up as you are still moving away from the boat and it gives you less time to clear the side before it comes back up. this can increase the risk of hitting the tank.

Look ahead a bit more than down and imagine you are stepping onto or off an escalator (moving staircase).

Glad you didn't get a nasty bang on the head from this - P

Big step forward, hit the water with your legs spread wide & time your kick so your head doesn't go under.

Did you have your fins on? It's hard keeping balance on a bouncing boat that way. Yeah, you have to put them on in the water but it's easier to get your foot near the edge of the boat and time the step. Just have your bcd inflated before you go.

...... & time your kick so your head doesn't go under.

What is wrong with your head going under water? Just curious. I do not think I have ever seen someone do a giant stride that did not get their head wet in the process. You need to have your mask on, reg in mouth and hand holding both in place (palm on reg and fingers on mask) during your entry so you should not have to worry about trying to keep your head dry during entry.

There is always the "back flop" if you prefer....just have your face pointing at the Crew member that will be giving the dive command, with back to the water...and your heels by the edge of the platform...On Dive..Dive..Dive, just let yourself lean out backwards, and flop on your back...You can do a step if you like, or just lean and flop.....people with cameras, like this to protect the camera with... using their torso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom