What's this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paula's right, looks like a sea pen. Kinda funny place and depth to see one, however. They like soft bottom, and a bit deeper water. They shouldn't be next to a gorgonian (which attached to hard bottom), certainly.

that is part of the family known as "squidgy gooey fishy things"

as opposed to the other two families of sealife: the creepy crawly crunchy things and the scaly slimy bitey things"

It looks like a sea pen to me...

cancun mark:
that is part of the family known as "squidgy gooey fishy things"

as opposed to the other two families of sealife: the creepy crawly crunchy things and the scaly slimy bitey things"

It looks like a sea pen to me...

LOL!!!
I'm sitting here at my desk and I'm sure that if a co-worker looked over they'd think I'm nuts! Thanks for a Friday giggle.

I have no idea what's in the picture unfortunatly.

adshepard:
That is not a sea pen! It is an egg case I believe. Of what I'm uncertain. But definitely looks like an egg case.

Oh yeah! Egg case is more plausible, 'specially if it's ATTACHED to the gorgonian as opposed to being sitting next to it. Maybe an elasmobranch egg case...

As to it "most definitely" not being a sea pen, please post the reasoning. As the axial polyp cannot be seen from the angle of the photo, and the secondary polyps could be retracted, I see no clear cut visual reason arguing it NOT being a sea pen. A lot of the Virgularia-type pennatulaceans look very much like this.

archman:
Oh yeah! Egg case is more plausible, 'specially if it's ATTACHED to the gorgonian as opposed to being sitting next to it. Maybe an elasmobranch egg case...

As to it "most definitely" not being a sea pen, please post the reasoning. As the axial polyp cannot be seen from the angle of the photo, and the secondary polyps could be retracted, I see no clear cut visual reason arguing it NOT being a sea pen. A lot of the Virgularia-type pennatulaceans look very much like this.

The object you are looking at is cylindrical sea pens are not cylindrical! Sea pens are in most all cases burrowed into a soft substrate. Go do a search either on the Internet or in texts of Virgularia species and find one that is cylindrical. Be serious. The object in question is an egg case.

Sometimes your know-it-all postings about marine life are very annoying and wrong.

DSDO

Alan

adshepard:
The object you are looking at is cylindrical sea pens are not cylindrical! Sea pens are in most all cases burrowed into a soft substrate. Go do a search either on the Internet or in texts of Virgularia species and find one that is cylindrical. Be serious. The object in question is an egg case.

Sometimes your know-it-all postings about marine life are very annoying and wrong.

DSDO

Alan

Wow. They posted opinions, admitted to uncertainty, and Archman even asked you for more info on your reasoning. Hardly the postings of "know-it-all's".

Back
Top Bottom