Whats up Central American peeps...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyclical

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I am in the process of uploading some pictures of our trips to Panama over the years. So far I have uploaded pictures from the Contadora islands in the Pacific side of Panama.

Just thought I would share them with everyone, I'll post more this afternoon when I get home.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=60387

If I ever buy a scanner I will scan some of my actual dive pictures. :(

Zebra mussel:
What did you think of the diving? I was there a couple of years ago and was interested to see what aother peoples impresions were compared to mine.
Depends on the time of year you go... Panama's winter (rainy season) screws visibility at places like Bocas/Portobello. If you go during the summer (less rainy season) visibility is much better.

Unlike some other locations, you aren't guarnteed perfect visibility every day. I haven't dove Contadora (Pear Islands) area, but as you have stated currents from tides on the pacific side are very very strong and can be dangerous if you are not familiar with them. However, water on that side tends to stay a lot clearer so if you have a compotent DM it may be worth while to go when the tide is not doing anything.

I haven't had the opportunity to dive Coiba, and need to get my advanced certification for most of those dives, but some current reviews have spoken very higly of the area.

There are TONS of other things to do in Panama though, Contadora is a gorgeous island to just get away. Bocas has lots of things to see and do within some of those regions as well.

Food is cheap in Panama City if you know the right places to go, and there is lots of things to do. :D

It helps having family there that I can get tips on locations etc...

Back
Top Bottom