What's your favorite book about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Jessica,

Try the "Best Book" publishing company for a wide range of titles related to all aspects of the u/w realm.

Regards,
D.S.D.

"Treasures of the Deep - the extraordinary life and times of Captain Mike Hatcher" by Hugh Edwards

Irish Diver...

I did a salvage job in the South China Sea with many of the divers who worked for Mike on the Tek job. I penned a story of this adventure here on Scubaboard, you can find it at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=872

Hope you enjoy the tale!

Regards,
D.S.D.

"The Last Dive" is certainly a must read!

It makes a diver more aware of not only his safety,but his buddies' as well.Feel extremely sad abt the deaths of both father and son.........just sad............

I'm currently in the middle of The Last Dive, and am enjoying it. The author brings life to the characters. I'm interested in reading Hell Divers' Rodeo and Deep Descent soon.

DeepSeaDan, that's a great story! You could certainly give Hugh Edwards a run for his money with your writing skills. I see some of the responses asked about plans for a book - any sign of it yet? Let me know if you need a ghost writer!

BTW Jessica, somebody should probably have recommended the following as great reads :
Snorkeling and free diving - an instructional guide by Captain Thomas A. Scott and Jim Flagg and Histories and Mysteries - the shipwrecks of Key Largo also by Captain Thomas A. Scott.

The good Cap'n is a member of the board and I'm on commission! Haven't got round to reading them myself yet, but I will! :eek:ut:

My vote would go to anything by Clive Cussler that features..... Da Man: Dirk Pitt.

Lots of testosterone, fast cars, cool toys and hot chicks!!

JessicaDodge once bubbled...
I love to read and have been looking around for some good books about diving. But have a hard time finding any. When I go to B&N and ask for books about scuba diving they take me too all the how to books... Like I am going to learn that from a book. But there aren't very many about people actually diving. They say they can order them if I give them the name. So I was wondering if you guys could post your fav. books and a little about why they are great.

Jessica

Try this thread: Have I got a book for you!

Hmm...Cave Diver, there were some interesting comments in that thread about the Rouses and The last dive. Guess anyone who hasn't read it will have to buy it and make their own minds up.

I've just checked through my bookshelves and I discovered that I have Neutral buoyancy by Tim Ecott. I found this book more 'unpickup-able' than 'unputdownable' - probably why I didn't recognise it at first mention. Just to be a dissenting voice, I thought it was dull, dull, dull. But that's just my view.

If I can broaden the scope of your request outside diving, Jessica, books I would recommend include: The sea around us by Rachel Carson, published by Oxford University Press. This is a science book, not an adventure or diving book. But it charts the formation of the seas and the development of life within them from the very beginning up to today. It's a great - if slightly heavy - read. Also on non-diving marine topics, you all know about Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, which I thought was a stunning book (didn't go to see the film - I was afraid of being disappointed). But how about Godforsaken Sea - racing the world's most dangerous waters by Derek Lundy and published by Random House. It's about the 1996-97 Vendee Globe (non-stop round the world) sailing race and what draws people to the terrifying majesty of the world's most unforgiving waters. Of the sixteen starters of this race, six completed the course, six withdrew or were disqualified, three were plucked from sinking boats, and one disappeared without trace. This is a powerfully written book that transports you into the Southern Ocean and charts the heroism and tragedy of the notorious race.

Anyone got other suggestions?

:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom