What's your latest departure story from GCM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have had nothing but positive experiences both in arriving and leaving GCM. The wait times have been what we consider to be very reasonable. Maybe it's just the time of year we go mainly in May or Sept-Oct.

We used to go down in Sept/Oct and changed to April/May a few years ago. The shoulder seasons used to be great this way.

Unfortunately, times have changed.

We arrive at the airport 2-2 1/2 hrs early and have never spent more than 30-45 minutes getting our boarding passes and going through security which gives us time to eat something and shop a little.

That's so "Pre-2011" <g>, as that's the year that I noticed it was starting to get more congested.

Our last trip down (2013) had a May Saturday return ... our CAL flight from the Brac had gotten messed up, so we actually left the Brac a day early and spent Friday night on Grand. Got over to the airport probably 9:30 or so, got rid of the rental car and had our traditional long leisurely breakfast up at the Hungry Horse. Got rid of the checked baggage as soon as the counters opened ... and noticed that the line through security ... already had a line. Unusual.

Kept an eye on the line and by ~11AM, noticed that it was out of the terminal. Jumped in line. Was on line for security for 75 minutes...got into the terminal with <5 minutes to spare before our UA flight to EWR was called for boarding, so never had to worry about not being able to find a seat in the terminal.

My plan for next time is 3 hours prior, and I'll keep a sharp eye on the backup going through security. They're supposedly going to be changing immigration ... get rid of the extra station and do it at check-in ... but IMO, the immigration officer wasn't really too significant of a bottleneck: it was that they only have two X-Ray machines for carry-on bags.

-hh

2013 Air lift arrivals to Cayman by month:

Jan 28,736
Feb 31,966
Mar 43,327
Apr 29,189
May 27,304
Jun 31,889
Jul 33,880
Aug 24,544
Sep 10,753
Oct 16,042
Nov 28,590
Dec 39,167

Statistics since 2000: http://www.caymanislands.ky/statistics/currentarrivalsstatistics.aspx

April 26, 2014. Organized chaos. Saturdays are much busier than I can ever remember. There is not enough space at the individual airline counters for people to use the kiosks that are there. We flew United and they have 3 or 4 kiosks right next to each other. Good luck with that! The other airlines seemed to have the same crowding problem (this has been an issue for quite some time). Now, for the security line: It snaked out the building and under several tent canopies until finally re-entering the building. Upon re-entering the building the maze continued a couple of more times. Many people grumbled when they let several dozen people feed into the Priority line way ahead of those waiting for a significant amount of time in the main line. This caused enough consternation that the folks in the other line felt very uncomfortable in spite of only doing what they were directed to do. Both belts were operating, but only one human x-ray machine was operating. The other one was taped off. We finally made it into the departure lounge only to find a mad house here as well. The men's room was closed to men off and on (sometimes for an inordinate amount of time) so the ladies line would reduce. Both were ridiculously long lines. They had the tents set up outside with dozens upon dozens of chairs for those waiting to board their flights. We arrived 2 hours and 15 minutes prior to our flight and entered the departure area about 20 minutes before the scheduled boarding. Bottom line: I will think twice before scheduling another Saturday afternoon departure from GCM. I will post a trip report later on. It was an awesome dive vacation!

What's the best day to go through GC airport? I always get out Sunday, and the lines seem to be tolerable. The flights out of Brac have to go through GC because of the lack of screening. I think it would help the Sister Island's if they make it easier to get in and out of. Looking forward to the report. Cheers

My wife had to leave 6 days before I did. I took her to the airport on a Sunday, and I left the following Saturday.
Night and Day difference. She checked right in, and got through security in less than five minutes.
The following Saturday for me is exactly as has been described in the previous posts.

What's the best day to go through GC airport? I always get out Sunday, and the lines seem to be tolerable. The flights out of Brac have to go through GC because of the lack of screening. I think it would help the Sister Island's if they make it easier to get in and out of. Looking forward to the report. Cheers

Any day except Saturday.

Left on a Wednesday at the end of April on the US Airways flight to Philly. No lines at check-in or departure passport check. Lounge had plenty of available seating. Got a little busy (but not overly so) when the Havana flight was getting ready to leave. Reminded me of how it used to be.

Left on a Wednesday at the end of April on the US Airways flight to Philly. No lines at check-in or departure passport check. Lounge had plenty of available seating. Got a little busy (but not overly so) when the Havana flight was getting ready to leave. Reminded me of how it used to be.

Sounds just the same as when I left this Wednesday, the 22nd.

Left GCY airport Sunday, minimal lines and no problems. Sounds like Saturday is the busy day. The only down was we had a big lay over and decided to go for breakfast/brunch at the Ritz. I had a bunch of Cayman money to spend. 50 usd for the cab and 91 usd for the brunch for three.
The money goes fast on Grand, but the brunch was excellent. The eggs must have been from the golden goose. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom