What's your plan for keeping warm on your SI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cwhitpan

Contributor
Reaction score
Schwenksville, Pennsylvania, United States
# of dives
25 - 49
Back when we did our checkouts in mid October, it was PERFECT out. Mid Seventies, the water as brisk, but still 65 in the quarry (Dutch Springs)

We are planning on sneaking in one more dive this year, and it is looking to be in the fifties, with the water dropping a bit and the thermocline climbing a bit!

While we will be fine diving with 7mm + on, my thoughts turn to that time OUT of the water!

With that in mind... What are your strategies/suggestions for staying warm while you kill time on your SI or waiting for fills?

Get a drysuit is the only real answer.:D However, pouring hot water down your suit just after getting out and just before getting in along with wearing a hat and putting a long coat on over your wetsuit and staying out of the wind is about all I can think of.

I just make sure to always go diving with members of the Swedish Bikini Team. For some reason I never feel the cold between dives.

Warm water poured into the neck of your wetsuit really can help warm you and staying out of the wind is always a good idea. Thanks for asking the question as I can't yet afford a dry suit but do want to dive early and late in the year.

Get a drysuit is the only real answer.:D However, pouring hot water down your suit just after getting out and just before getting in along with wearing a hat and putting a long coat on over your wetsuit and staying out of the wind is about all I can think of.

I'd recommend getting out of the wetsuit actually, asap. Or at least down to the waist and then cover up with warm clothes. It will keep you warmer as staying in a wet wetsuit will continue to cool you down.

To the OP, I get out of my suit asap, or if on a boat, just down to my waist so at least I can warm up my core. I then put on very warm jacket (windproof at least) and also a beanie and gloves. Stay under cover away from rain and wind. I drink hot chocolate or soup (don't drink caffinated stuff as it will make you colder). And if possible I get back into my suit under a warm shower.

Get out of the wetsuit.

Seriously. The damp wetsuit will evaporate and suck the heat out of you. If you're out of the water for more than 30 minutes, take it off. It will be cold and yucky to put back on, but you will be warmer overall.

If you insist on leaving it on (out on a dive boat, perhaps) then at least put on a warm hat, and something windproof.

As an aside, these dive parkas are very popular on the California coast. Although best when you are out of your wetsuit, they work quite well over a wetsuit, too.

At least take off the wetsuit top if your wearing a farmer john!

All thee best, James

Me? Take off my hood, put on my toque, and stay warm in my drysuit :D

When I used to dive wet, I found a thermos (or cooler) full of warm water to warm up boots, gloves and hoods (as well as poured into my suit) also worked well. As others have mentioned make sure you peel off the cold suit and use warm layers of fleece, etc. to keep your core warm. We also use heated shelters or tents when diving in the winter time (helps you warm up after you cut the hole in the lake).

Just my two cents...Cheers!

Some things I've found helpful:

1) Cover your head - a nice fleece toque or hat makes all the difference in the world.

2) Get into some dry clothes

3) If you can't change out of the wetsuit, wear a nice windbreaker on top of the wetsuit

4) Seek shelter if it's windy

But most useful - DRYSUITS are really handy when it's cold outside.

I dive in Florida. Enough said! :D

But seriously, I do wear a Warm Wind on those windy winter days. They don't call me a warm water wimp for nothing!

Interesting to hear all the approaches! I am very close to pulling the trigger on a drysuit, but cant really swing the 1300 quite yet, for me, then there's the wife to consider!

I also would like to get some more dives in before I do that. Next year this time, I am hopeful we will both be sitting pretty and dry!

Back
Top Bottom