What's your pony bottle configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to figure out how to configure a pony bottle.

I wear a Zeagle BC, so I would buy the Zeagle pony bottle tank straps that are compatible with my BC.

I would buy a 19cf bottle, plop on a HOG D1 first stage, attach a D1 second stage to it via a hose (how long?), and add a mini pressure gauge to the first stage as well?

And then I should be good to go?

I figure:

$50 for the tank straps
$125 for the pony bottle
$150 for the first stage
$100 for the second stage
$50 for a mini pressure gauge, mounted to the first stage

Total of $475

I sling mine (as per 'stages'). It offers more flexibility, greater control and the benefit of carrying the regulator pressurised, but turned off. It also enables you to use a longer reg hose, which can be secured by bungees along the cylinder - deployable and stowable during the dive.

You can easily configure the strapping yourself at minimal cost, or you can buy a pre-made kit.

Assuming you intend to use the Pony as a redundant air source for emergency ascents (as opposed to a redundancy for overheard environments, or for decompression) then the sizing of the cylinder is dependant on 2 factors:

1) Your SAC (surface air consumption).

2) Your intended diving depth and ascent duration.

19 cf is a minimum for immediate ascent within recreational depths. It is unlikely to have further use for penetrations etc.

There is a good thread here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/337284-what-size-tank-pony.html which goes into more detail about pony capacity.

Do you have your own main tanks? If so check out the Pony Tamer. It attaches to the tanks so you don't have to worry about it being compatible with your bc.

I've always preferred having my 19 cu ft pony attached to my main tank with a full length reg hose and the second stage clipped to my chest. I mount the pony upside down so I can easily reach the valve. Here is an old pic with my previous 13 cu ft pony:

pony%20bottle%20set-up.jpg

I own a Zeagle BC, so I bought the Zeagle pony mount straps.

I dove a 13 cu ft pony mounted on my main tank with the Zeagle straps and didn't like it.

I bought at 19 cu ft pony.

I have since cut the velcro straps (which fasten the pony mount straps to your main tank cam band) off. I now use the Zeagle pony mount straps as cam bands only. I went to my hardware store and bought about 4 feet of soft 3/4 inch nylon webbing and some bulk bungee cord. Add a five knots and two snap bolts and you have a pony bottle setup that can be slung, that is strong enough to carry by the handle (soft 3/4 inch nylon webbing), and that can be quickly swapped owing to the cam bands.

Hey, bunny, if you search on "pony" there are quite a few threads that discuss the sizes, mounting, rigging, and other such things. A great deal of info is in those threads. :wink:

I tried backmount and slinging and I've come to prefer them slung. My reasoning might sound silly, but I like the convenience of a slung tank. It's something I can leave behind or pack with me by just snapping a couple of clips to my d-rings. I can reach the valves, hand it off, and pack whatever pony I want to. I can pack everything from a spare air to an LP72 this way.

Having said all that, in some ways I prefer the backmount. It's just a few extra pounds back there out of the way. What I've come to realize though is that for most dives I just don't want to bother with a pony. If I'm at less than 100' and with a known buddy or at less than 50' solo I just don't find it necessary. When I dove with a backmounted pony bottle, I used only two regulators and I ran the octopus off my pony. Well, the problem with that is it pretty much forces you to haul out the wrenches and start reconfiguring your first stages every time you want to add or ditch the pony; PITA. My buddies on the other hand use ponies on every dive and they like the backmount setup.

Hmmm.. what regulators do you guys use? The same as the ones you use on the primary?

I'm thinking a pony setup is going to cost at least $400?

400.00 sounds stiff, here is one i have made a quantity of 6 of, and here is another i made a few years ago. pony 119.00 ish,decent 1st and a decent 2nd you sould have a few dollars left over if your a shopper or a diyer

Attachments

• IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 817
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom