What's your pony bottle configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm.. what regulators do you guys use? The same as the ones you use on the primary?

I'm thinking a pony setup is going to cost at least $400?

My last on i put together was around 700. The tank, DIN valve, Zeagle Envoy deluxe, pressure guage with 6 in hose, O2 cleaning, and stage straps with clips. I prefer mine slung for the ease of valve managment and if the reg freeflows I can feather the valve while still using it. Oh and mine is a 40 cu ft. So that might make a little difference. 170ish for the tank, 380ish for the reg, then the straps, guage, hose, 40 in reg hose, and O2 cleaning.

Hmmm.. what regulators do you guys use? The same as the ones you use on the primary?

I'm thinking a pony setup is going to cost at least $400?

There are two things you might consider to make this less painful. What I did was go out and buy the regulator I really wanted as my primary regulator. My old regulator, (Zeagle Envoy), got relegated to the pony bottle.

If you're really short on cash, the other thing you might consider is just picking up an old dirt cheap regulator set off of Craigslist or ebay. I've managed to accumulate a few of these, generally paying no more than $20. Chances are they haven't been serviced for 20 years or more, but they usually work alright anyway. The one thing to keep in mind though is that some old regulators are easy to get parts for and some aren't. Parts for a Scubapro MK5/R109 aren't a problem, while a Sportsways Waterlung likely will be.

If you ask a few of your dive buddies, you'll probably find that they've got an old regulator or two floating around.

BTW, I dove a 1961 Waterlung just yesterday and I was really surprised at how well it breathed.

I use a MK2/R190, easily available for under $100 used. I have the pony rigged for slinging, but I almost never use it.

Its a good mental exercise to analyze exactly what problem you are attempting to address with the pony and look for other solutions as well. I'm fairly confident that pony use in recreational diving does not increase safety most of the time. It can, and I'm not one of the anti-pony crowd, although I do think that they're often misused and misunderstood.

So what were you doing that made you feel a pony bottle was an essential solution to the problem?

I won't talk for the OP, but in my case, I was doing scuba diving. In particular, I was doing deep dives with less experienced buddies and didn't want to completely rely on them as an alternative air source. The pony bottle wasn't an essential solution... it was an optimum one, given all the variables. :D

I don't dive with a pony for recreational dives, never have. I've started slinging a 40 for deco with homemade straps etc. I don't even notice it's there. It was $350 used (never dove tank used ds4 reg). I understand the arguements for having a pony, but for NDL diving with a good buddy, or ME in charge, i've never felt in danger not having one. Try making a sling style first before you blow cash on straps you may not need.

My thoughts are this is not about gas management but redundancy, i have a few pony set ups and i have had to use them,i will always have one if i dive with my kids( 6 )that are certified. why is it when someone is asking for advise or a question. there's always that bull**** wrong turn that no one wants or cares about. To the op throw all the garb you get from here and weigh it all very carefully make the best dec for you.

Just right off the top of my head, I can think of a half dozen reasons why someone might want to use a pony bottle.

1) Instabuddy or new and unknown buddy.
2) Very bad visibility, (easy to lose a buddy when you can't see your outstretched hand).
3) Used or unfamiliar equipment. Nice to have a backup when you first dive that "recently rebuilt" reg you bought on Craigslist.
4) Deep diving. Most of us would be hard pressed to CESA from 130'.
5) Offgassing. Even within NDL's you can fill a pony with nitrox and use it to reduce your nitrogen loading.
6) Solo diving.

If I think I need a redundant gas supply, then I take a fully redundant configuration.

All the best, James

Fuzzybabybunny,

I, like many folks dive with a 30... I have attached a web site on how to build your own rig to sling if you decided to change your mind but I don't know how well a 19 would sling... I don't have a 19 to look at but it would probably sling just fine...

I spent about the same as your prices reflect however my sling cost about 18.00 to build +/- but it works very well and I believe many have used the guide in the web site listed to build their own.

One suggestion, at least what I did for myself was to forgo the button type spg and got one that is @ 1.5 or so... Not only so I could read it comfortably but when I needed to hand it off (and I have) the receiving diver could read it as well...

Just my thoughts... lee

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

Last thought on this... I preferred slinging cause if I or someone else needed it, I could get to it fast. I started using it on my second trip to hunt Meg teeth. As I found out on that first time out; when your hunting for teeth its easy to find yourself alone cause everyone is consumed with there own little treasure hunt... and at 100', your don't want to find yourself with a malfunction and nobody around!!!

lee

One more, do not take it for granite that it will work at the bottom if you did not take the time and test it up top...

I'm trying to figure out how to configure a pony bottle.

I wear a Zeagle BC, so I would buy the Zeagle pony bottle tank straps that are compatible with my BC.

I would buy a 19cf bottle, plop on a HOG D1 first stage, attach a D1 second stage to it via a hose (how long?), and add a mini pressure gauge to the first stage as well?

And then I should be good to go?

I figure:

$50 for the tank straps
$125 for the pony bottle
$150 for the first stage
$100 for the second stage
$50 for a mini pressure gauge, mounted to the first stage

Total of $475

Back
Top Bottom