What's your take on DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Headhunter- "I believe that if you look through this thread, you will not find any unproven rumours"

DIR Atlanta- "more difficult to orally inflate, and may collapse spontaneously if they develop a leak".

Unproven -----!

Im done

YA well my post got wiped so I will restate it politicaly correct.

You should think of taking the fundamentals class. It will cost you around $400 & is worth $1,000.
Thay will tell you the why and how come as well as teach you skills that will help you in being a lot better diver.
I was also diapointed in my AOW class. But have nothing but positve to say about the GUE class I took! I get your point on the comp. Try buying a hole new set up and ditching 3 computers but all in all a very small price to pay for the new awakining

Nailer99:
...what is your take on DIR? What does it mean to you? I really like diving a lot, and want to be serious about it, but I feel almost as if I've wandered into a religious battleground here, or something....Northern Ireland in the 1980's, say.

Hi,

My advice is:

1- Don't make a decision for or against DIR based on what you see on the Internet.

2- You are in a great location to learn more about DIR. Try to hook up with some local DIR divers, and/or Fifth Dimension (www.fifthd.com), as someone else suggested. You will be able to tell in a short amount of time if it is for you or not. If you can, talk to a DIR instructor about the Fundamentals class, and about your questions.

3- Don't go changing any of your gear yet, just based on what someone tells you is DIR approved or disapproved. Talk to more qualified people so that you can understand the hows a whys of the gear choices so that you don't waste money, should you decide that you agree with DIR.

4- Also, as others have said, if you are serious about wanting to know more you should really read: https://secure.gue.com/catalog/order

5- go to www.direxplorers.com and check it out too. Then look at all the people here and there that talk about their DIR Fundamentals experience, and all the good things they have to say.

My personal take on it?
It is helped me alot, a WHOLE lot. I am far more comfortable, feel safer, and having more fun than I was 6 months ago. The improvement in my skills, and the far better control that I have in the water, has increased my confidence and helped me relax and enjoy my diving more. And beyond the agency arguements, specifics, pros and cons, that is what it is all about to me, being as safe as I can be while having the most fun I can.

HTH,
Jason

I'm not DIR and never will be in the true sense of the meaning but there are some excellent things you can learn from the philosophy and your skills will definitely improve. Try the fundies class, I think I will, and decide from there. Most are not strictly DIR or at least DIR all the time. Keep an open mind, there is a lot of bashing back and forth which I could not care less about, it should be all about making yourself a better diver. DIR has a lot to offer but do what is right for you.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I must say, I'm tempted to try and become a DIR diver JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO HATE THEM SO MUCH! I thrive on that kind of attention. I'm defenitely going to get the book. I like books. And I will be doing a dive with Bob and some of the 5th Dimension people next week. I'll make up my own mind about the whole thing, just like I do with everything else. But I'm leaning towards the school of thought that favors teaching the newbies how to figure out how much air they have in their tanks. I like that kind of stuff.

Nailer99:
And I will be doing a dive with Bob and some of the 5th Dimension people next week. I'll make up my own mind about the whole thing, just like I do with everything else.

Great, let us know how it goes and what you think about it.

Nailer99:
I'm tempted to try and become a DIR diver JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO HATE THEM SO MUCH! I thrive on that kind of attention.

I'll sure stay out of this debate but if I may say one thing.

If you do go DIR, do it for a reason other than the one you posted above. Just a thought. Enjoy your journey!

Captain CaveMan:
Headhunter- "I believe that if you look through this thread, you will not find any unproven rumours"

DIR Atlanta- "more difficult to orally inflate, and may collapse spontaneously if they develop a leak".

Unproven -----!

Im done
Captain CaveMan,

I stand corrected and now see what you were objecting to.

I was about to undelete your post defending OMS bungie wings, but upon reading it again could not do so because of the anti-DIR rhetoric and link to an anti-DIR website. But in an effort to be fair, I will quote your defense of OMS below.

Captain CaveMan:
(OMS) such harsh treatment from DIR guys. OMS makes great gear, but if the Bungies are installed wrong (just like any type of gear) it will not work properly. So your going to have ahard time orally inflating your wing. And with the Poping of the wing theroy-- theres no proof with this. NO STOP POSTING IT DIR guys. Some test have been done but but not in a lab.

While I understand that the OMS Bungied wings are not accepted in DIR circles, I see no harm in allowing your defense to stand without the anti-DIR rhetoric.

Christian

Jason B:
I'll sure stay out of this debate but if I may say one thing.

If you do go DIR, do it for a reason other than the one you posted above. Just a thought. Enjoy your journey!

I was kidding. But, point taken, none the less!

Nailer,

I am moving toward being a DIR diver. Unlike a lot of folks on the internet, I chose to get my information DIRECTLY from the source. My goal was (and is) to become the very best diver my ability, time, and money would allow me to be. I then set out on a path to try to accomplish that. I want to do wreck diving. However I live smack dab in the middle of Cave Country USA. But I probably live in one of the very best states for wreck diving as well. I am spoiled. In order to reach my goal, I did some important thnigs you might consider.

1. Define what kind of diver you want to be if you can.
2. Research as much as you can what divers are doing that kind of diving, and doing it well.
3. Attempt to find the very best instruction you can REGARDLESS of agency.
4. Try to read current materials on diving philosophy and requirements of different agencies.
5. Sign up for classes and get educated.

For my own part, I ordered the GUE books by Jablonski and by Dan Mackay. I read JJs's book 3 times to let it sink in. I spoke to DIR divers locally, and on the internet. I spoke to divers trained by IANTD, GUE, NACD, NSSCDS, TDI, ANDI, NAUI, and CMAS. In considering what I wanted to do, I decided that I wanted training from GUE, NACD, and IANTD. I have taken one IANTD class and one GUE class in the past 5 months. My NACD class is in June.

A lot of people out there have things to teach you that will help you become a better diver. Find them, and listen to them. After reading JJ's book, I emailed him. We had a good conversation over email. Then I met him, and spoke with him about GUE and taking his class. I asked when *HE* would be teaching a class, and I waited and signed up for it. Not that there aren't other excellent, and perhaps better instructors in GUE, but for my introduction, I wanted it to come from the source. I'm glad I did. It helps that he lives 2 hours from me. My IANTD class was given by someone on their board of trustees. My NACD (a cave diving organization) will be given by it's president.

I say this not to brag, but to try to encourage you to seek out the VERY BEST training you can get your hands on REGARDLESS of agency. I am fortunate to have these gentlemen close to me. There are VERY good instructors close to you as well. Go talk to them and listen to what they have to say. Listen to it with an open mind. Don't just talk to one guy or one agency. Hear at least 3-4 and then make an informed decision.

I personally think DIR is an excellent program for a lot of reasons. It has it's pitfalls, but I choose to accept them and move on. However, I do not follow blindly. The nice thing, is that DIR invites questioning. Questioning means you are thinking, and if nothing else DIR advocates thinking divers.

Welcome to the forums, and I hope your interest in DIR grows as you choose your path. It is one of the few paths currently available to divers that will honestly promote excellence in your diving, and I have no hesitation in recommending it highly on that regard alone.

-P

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom