Whay are you using rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Master Chief

Reaction score
This year I read many police and coast guard reports of almost 7 peaple in different parts of north America "USA and Canada" who have lost there lives diving using rebreathers and this does not include the many who have lost there lives in other parts of the world which we never hear about. I don't see the attraction and for me spending hours prepping and sanitizing for a little extended dive time just pushes me away from them. I also hear that the sensing probes are not as efficent as they should be in most models to make them extremely save in this day and age. Are there to many guarage mechanics building there own and involuntarily killing themselves with there home made units?. What about liability who takes it, the manufacturer, buyer, goverment or educator. I think rebreathers look cool and I'd love to have one just to hang on my wall to impress my buds.

Master Chief

I can think of many reasons

Lighter than twin sets
More efficient decompression
Warm moist air
Able to dive all day with not refilling
Never have to worry about running out of gas again (CCR)
Silent diving
Actually seeing fish and being able to interact with them
Longer bottom times
Shorter stops

All the rubbish promoted about RB's you hear is exactly that, opinions expressed by those that dont have one or know anything about one.

Accidents statistics are not good at first glance, BUT remember that RB divers are doing more dives, deeper and longer and more extreme than you average OC diver and you'll see some sense in them. Also if you study the statistics you'll see that User Error is the #1 causative factor

Yes, they are more complicated to use than OC, but if used properly I believe thay are safer (they certainly have more bail out and recovery options than Open Circuit). They need training and practice

Preparation time is a little more than good OC prep, but normally done in the comfort of your home. On boat or at site prep is about 2 mins and is done at the same time as the OC divers do their checks (you do do buddy checks dont you?). Task loading in the water is also minimal (unlike those that dont dive em say) and you need to glance at a gauge about once a minute

Im my opinion The plusses outweigh the minus' and after 28 years of OC I have gone CC. Unfortunately I also have to instruct OC and I hate having to go back to the noisy, cold bubble machine

RB's are not for everyone, they do require an effort on the owners part, they do take training and you will be a novice again for a season or two and of course they aint cheap

Try my rebreather site for some facts reather than heresay and rumour, sorry its a bit biased towards the Inspiration, but hey thats what I own and what most people are buying

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom