Wheelchair scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a beautiful dance peach. Of course we normally have our divers leave their chairs behind. But it is a beautiful work of art and helps tell the world that people who happen to be in wheelchairs not only dive, but can do water ballet beautifully.

It is a cool video, but I think the Pegasus Thruster has much more potential for disabled divers. I am not sure if it is out yet but I hear they are developing an arm-pit control switch, mostly for photographers but will be great for multi-amputees.

Was she wearing sunglasses?

I agree a DPV is a lot more practical.

I also suspect it's just an artsy sort of film not actually a diver with paraplegia. If you look at the clip from about 3:25-3:33, she does an interesting vertical move - but controls the pitch of the plastic dive planes with her feet.

It's possible that she may have some form of dystrophy, post polio syndrome or other disability that precludes walking but might leave enough residual motion and strength to do that, but it's suspect, especially when you add in the massively impractical aspects of getting her and the chair on and off a boat compared to a paraplegic diver using a DPV or just free swimming using hands only.

I see it as symbolism. Something showing that you should not let a disability keep you from doing what you love. She is wearing a dress and sunglasses. This is symbolic.

Yes a DPV would be much better.
The comments on the par are quite comical though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom