Wheels for duffle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I currently have duffels for our scuba gear. Old school. Well, with budget cutbacks, instead of buying a new, we are looking for some type of wheeled carrier to strap our bags onto. Lugging that bag is getting old (or maybe just me...). Anyway, has anyone found something along those lines, a frame with wheels to strap a duffel bag to roll through airports and the like?

I have the Magna Cart, which I use to carry the crates we use for local diving. It would probably work for your needs as well. You would need to strap it with some type of webbing or some spare weight belts to keep it attached to your luggage.

They have a couple different models. I believe mine is the 150lb. capacity version shown in the photo. It will add 3-4 lbs. to your total weight, FYI.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00987615000P?vName=Gifts&cName=ValentinesGifts&sName=Tools%20for%20Her&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

144002_lg.jpg

google: folding luggage cart.

Walmart sells one that holds up to 80lbs. Target sells another one plus 2 others. They're what you see people bring on airplanes so they fold small. The suggestion above, while good, might be tough to fit in the overhead bin if you ever carry it on.
Folds to 2 in thick and 25 in tall - 15 in. wide
Walmart:
0003905282203_215X215.jpg
Target:
41BXW4W4WAL._AA260_.jpg

In my experience, duffel bags simply aren't rigid enough to work well with any kind of carrier wheels. You might check out wheeled duffels at CostCo. Usually good price. Even if you buy a set of heavy-duty wheels, they aren't that cheap either. I think "dive bags" are over-rated, over-priced. I've actually gone the other way, from wheel bags to a simple North Face duffel. Cuts my weight about 8 lbs., which for me is greatly appreciated, as it's work to keep 2 bags under the 70 lb restriction. Too much camera gear, I guess.

Cheap Chinese duffels with built in wheels and pull out handle weigh next to nothing and you can use them for your carry on luggage. Find it in Chinese luggage shops or big supermarkets luggage departments, the classy luggage shops dont keep them in stock. They are perfect! Dont buy anything with a heavy internal frame, the cheaper and lighter,the better for your purpose! if you dont abuse them, they should last for several trips. Pack your BCD, regulator, mask (if its prescription lenses) and costume in this and you will OK in weight (about 7kg) for carry on. Let hubbie carry a good size camera bag extra and wife biggest handbag you can manage.Dont use a strap on wheel trolley for the duffels, we tried it, its really most uncomfortable, wants to fall onits nose. Now, should you lose your checked luggage, you still have your diving essentials...in your hand luggage
Checked luggage? Well a lightweight backpack each of course - good quality this time, also weights a fraction of what a suitcase weighs. And seeing you are already carting the duffels, this lot goes on your back, easy peezy! In here - well the wetsuits, the fins, booties, toiletries, medicines, hats and suntan oil a few pieces of clothes and your full allowance of wines (good ones from home of course) a bottle of gin. Winning recipe for weight and comfort traveling...enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Thanks all. I guess I need to learn how to pack. On a recent rip to Hawaii, I had all of my gear, except camera, in a duffel. I threw in some basic clothing and weighted at 44lbs. My carry on had my camera, toiletries, and a couple of books to read. For gear, I had a 3/2 full, 1.5 vest, fins, reg, mask, bc (seaquest balance) dive log and other small items like sausage, clips, etc. What am I doing wrong?
As far as carrying the bag, we will look into these suggestions before our next trip. My wife packed similar and 2 duffels at 45lbs each, eeesh. Sore shoulders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom