When is dive equipment considered old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I consider gear old after 20 years, then I put it on and go diving.

If it's not repairable, I replace it. I dive the regulator I learned to dive on, over 50 years ago, a couple of times each summer.

Bob
-----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Much of the older gear is held in very high regard so age alone, especially a mere 8 years is no cause for replacement.

If you have a fluke item parts are not available for then baring generic & workarounds a decision could be made for you but that is very unlikely.

I think the biggest factor is how this equipment has been cared for most critically post trip cleaning. Dried salts, corrosion, creasing and even mold are far bigger considerations.

When the wood starts rotting ?

Many dive stores are set up to sell gear. That is where they make money. They like to promote the "life support" mantra and scare people into purchasing new gear needlessly. Additionally, very few shops have actual technicians and even fewer who I would trust. The key to diving SCUBA gear forever is to take care of your equipment yourself.

N

Hi all,
I purchased my dive gear in 2006( Scuba Pro), I used for about 2 years when I lived in Northern California and dove more often. I live in Denver, CO and having been diving only on vacations but, I'm getting back into diving more often and would like some feedback. I assume the dive shops would let me know when my gear needs to be upgraded. I don't care about having the latest and greatest just safe and functional :) Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Amy
Your gear is old as soon as you leave the dive shop with it.
and yes,the dive will let you know on your very next visit that you need to upgrade that old stuff to something either newer or more expensive.

Your gear is old as soon as you leave the dive shop with it.
and yes,the dive will let you know on your very next visit that you need to upgrade that old stuff to something either newer or more expensive.
Preferrably both..

Back
Top Bottom