When is the best time of year to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krbailey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a trip to Cozumel next year. Initailly, I was thinking about the end of August. However, I'd like some input from fellow ScubaBoard members. Heat doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned with poor weather and dive conditions. Cost of travel and accomodations could also be a factor. Thanks!

Sorry to piggy back on your thread, but if anyone would like to add such information on November/December as well, I'd be much obliged.

Well, you do have a better than average shot at your vacation being affected by tropical storms in August. I would have to say that my favorite time of year in Cozumel in late October, April, & May.

I like summer because the water is so warm that I want my tank to last forever. By "summer", I mean from the warm up in mid-April until the first nortes arrive -- usually sometime during mid-to-late Nov. Summer rainy season is warm and doesn't stop the diving. From Nov. through March, strong north winds cause the port to be closed to diving from time to time. Mostly, these cool breezes chill you down during surface intervals but a thin fleece or jacket solves that problem. Beginning in December, the Spotted Eagle Rays come in for their mating aggregations. This usually lasts for a couple of months and is a great reason to visit in the winter.

I don't think there's any bad time to dive Cozumel!

I'd agree that there is no bad time to dive Cozumel, but I'd also point out that hurricaine season is August-October, so it would seem that those months have the highest chance of weather messing with your dives.

I'll take my chances during hurricane season (fall) over a Norte during the winter months... it's so seldom an actual hurricane or tropical depression has an impact on the island. Not only does fall months afford you the best in pricing, the island is quiet with fewer crowds and "beach" vacationers.

I've been both in late November and early December and have another trip booked this year in the middle of November. Never really had any issues during this time frame. Went once in early October and once in mid-September and I'd rate both trips as the rainiest... but was of little consequence since we were diving but did make for rougher seas and low ambient light at depth.

I've logged most of my dives on the island in the month of May.... Bright sunny skies, warm air and never a Norte although I hear they are still possible. Obviously, it's my favorite time to go with few crowds and good prices. Also been in March, April, June and July but nothing worth noting except it does get quite warm in June and July while March and April will increase your odds of a Norte closing the port.

I like summer because the water is so warm that I want my tank to last forever.

Deb, your knowledge is vastly superior than mine on the topic but by warm water, do you mean the 82f water in the summer as opposed to the 80f water in the winter? In all my years and months I doubt I have logged any temp higher or lower. Just don't want the OP to get the impression that there is much variance... at least not enough to make it a determining factor.

The best months to be in Cozumel are May and June, or September to October. In both cases the water is pretty warm and there is little chance of a north wind that closes the diving down. September to October does have the chance of a hurricane but the odds are Greatly against that affecting you thus some dive ops offer hurricane insurance

In my opinion, the worst time to be in Cozumel is January. I remember one January in which the port was closed for 20 out of 31 days. Cold water, north storms etc...it must be high season only because it is so miserable up north.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Deb, your knowledge is vastly superior than mine on the topic but by warm water, do you mean the 82f water in the summer as opposed to the 80f water in the winter? In all my years and months I doubt I have logged any temp higher or lower. Just don't want the OP to get the impression that there is much variance... at least not enough to make it a determining factor.

I think my profile says "warm water wimp" or some such thing... My computer, rounded from Celsius, shows temps of 83-84F since June. Lowest here is around 79F. Cenotes consistently colder, around 77-76F. I've been living here too long -- anything in the 70's is c-c-cold!

May is my favorite month. Great conditions above and below the water and most US schools are in session.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom