When is the best time of year to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winter is a risk with the northers, summer and fall with storms but not so much. I had to leave Coz once in advance of a hurricane (should have canceled before I flew in) but I still come in late August for my birthday anyway. We're getting rain off of Harvey and Irene but no biggie. I guess November and springtime might be best overall but it's seldom bad.

When would I most like to be on Cozumel? Why, RIGHT NOW, of course! :D

I go just about every May, but I'll go any time I get the chance.

When would I most like to be on Cozumel? Why, RIGHT NOW, of course! :D

I go just about every May, but I'll go any time I get the chance.
What he said :lol: though I am most regularly there June/July...

Heat doesn't bother me.
It's cooler in Cozumel in summer than most of the US. Love those ocean breezes. :eyebrow:

Seriously, if you had to come in winter then I'd say risk it, and make the best of it if you get blown out - which happens with ocean diving everywhere at times. If you are flexible, then wait until spring. Air & hotel costs can go up during December anyway, and around spring break - but the latter varies so much in dates around the US that it's not a biggie.

I use this site to shop for air for an entire month Matrix - ITA Software then go to Orbitz and Cheapcaribbean.com to try to find the best air & hotel packages. I didn't do great this trip, but I got Hotel Cozumel All Inclusive private room for about $200 over air for a week. The beds are too firm for me tho. Back to Villablance next time...! :(

Thanks everyone for your input.

One more jumping on the summer is safer than winter bandwagon. Three trips in the summer (June, July, and September) with no dives canceled due to weather. Out of three winter trips (December, February, February), two were impacted by northers - on both those trips, 2 of 5 dive days were canceled.

I'd go sometime when the water is wet :D

...but seriously, I've been on Coz in both the Spring and Late Summer (Labor Day week). Other than it being a lot hotter in the late summer, both were great as far as the diving goes. Vis was great both times, the water temps were warmer of course in the late summer, currents MAYBE a little stronger in the L.S., but of course that depends on a lot of things, currents can get rippin' in the spring as well.

I think we saw more large fish on the late summer trip and of course, more juvies on the reefs in the spring.

I recently read where Christi at BlueXTSea said that September is her favorite time of year to dive in Cozumel, no elaberation on her part, but she does live there year round, so that must be saying something.

Back
Top Bottom