When resorts compete divers win

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thatch Caye Belize

Didn't think so but had to ask. I wasn't trying to be confrontational either but when I read your post I thought it sounded a little uppity, sorry I misunderstood your meaning. Would like to come to Belize someday, but as the rest of the world is in financial turmoil so am I. I agree with "you get what you pay for"! I just wish it didn't cost so much. I think from a business stand point limiting the number of divers allowed in a marine reserve would be great. Not that I know much about diving in Belize but I do know a little about business.

when boats from our area go out to do a dive, oftentimes they are the only ones at a dive site and another boat cant even be seen for miles around. The most divers on any one boat will be six or seven...

What kind of boats? I worked for an operator at Turneffe and 5 divers plus DM & Capt. were too much for their 25' Pelican and 6 with equipment was too much for their 37' Wayward which they had to use when their 48 was down. You would be more comfortable on a boat with 12 divers (the most), 2 DMs, Capt., and deck hand plus a spacious deck, fresh water showers, 2 camera tables, camera rinse, spacious head, plenty of room to stow your extra gear, platform to make a comfortable entry, big ladders for a comfortable exit and all that. Your dive guides give you all the attention you need to get you comfortable and are experienced enough to take care of newbees and make sure they have proper bouyancy, no dangling gear, and are not breaking up things. Anywhere at Turneffe or Central Barrier reef you will be the only dive boat in the area for miles unlike Lighthouse Reef and Ambergris. The reef and marine life are also of reserve quality. Don't know where the impression of cattle boats comes from but I have seen crammed boats from several destinations who need the numbers to cover the costs of their long trips but I would never consider them "cattle" it's just business. You always get what you pay for some operators just charge more for it. I think it would be wise to inquire about what you are getting first and make sure you are getting value for your money before you give it to anyone. Peace.

I know the TCR lot have gone diving at Glover's today, because I was invited to join them but couldn't. I expect there were two, maybe three, staff, plus I believe five guests, all in a Columbian skiff around 38ft long. Hardly overcrowded. No doubt they will correct any errors when they're next on.

The sort of boat you describe is very nice, but way too expensive for such a small dive operation, and in any case it would draw too much draught to be safe to use for many of their regular dive trips. As a boat operator in Belize myself I'd love to see the economics of such a boat with just 12 divers on board.

Horses for courses. As to "you always get what you pay for" I absolutely disagree. Better to say "you don't get what you don't pay for".

Hugh Parkey has a decent reputation and has put lots of money into their operation. They are also priced to try to draw large crowds and therefore take advantage of economies of scale. I have no problem with any of that and I wish them the best in their endeavors. If I were a certain kind of diver, I would love to go there. But, different strokes for different folks. Some want to go to a larger island like San Pedro, Ambergris Caye where they can go shopping in nice little gift shops, eat at many diverse restaurants, and take in some nightlife. Others want a more remote experience to uncrowded areas in a more pristine area. To each his own. The Hugh Parkey deal is a good one but it is only good for those who get what they want out of it. Arguing about the intangibles such as the levels of personal service to be expected is not worthwhile for those who just want to dive and dont care about anything else.

I could see how this thread could degenerate into fine distinctions and differences of opinions and in the end result, it is better to just state the truth. The truth is that everyone has their own standards and expectations and not everyone is most concerned with getting the cheapest price. If we were all competing to have the cheapest price, a lot of divers would lose out since there are so many other considerations that they base their trips on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom