When should DMs become Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a DM for a year before going through the IDC. I wanted a career in diving and after graduating from college it seemed like a great direction to go in. I knew I could make a difference in the industry and I proved it through teaching a course more based on actually learning how to be a better diver.

Anyone with a good head on their shoulders can pass the IDC. I think the biggest issue is, do they belong teaching. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you MUST do it. People talk about being an instructor like its a fad or something, but its serious business. If you aren't going to bring something new to the table, what's the point? There isn't much money in it and once your an active instructor, you will always have your guard up and its much harder to just get wet without constantly thinking about everyone around you.

Lots of good info posted here on this question. Personally I dove for years in the Navy, learning from the experienced divers and teaching newer guys was a daily routine. Retired in 1994

Began diving again while on a cruise with the wife a few years later. Military diving and civilian recreational diving are two hugely different animals. Dove for fun for a year or so and decided to get into the Pro realm. Then took 4 months for my DMc and cert from PADI.

... saw the mind set of being around the average person wanting to dive, not the stud-ly Navy types. . Saw some bad, some good and a very few great Instructors. I learned a lot from all of these folks. Some things I use today and some I still shake my head about.

Most important in my eyes was again real experience. This with real students, under real situations. Role playing is just that ... playing.

Served as a DM for about 18 months working in a shop, had to deal with the BS and enjoyed the benefits.

Went to the IDC where I saw the Zero 2 Heros and some like myself. Five of the seven passed the IE, one of each failed. Both party people that drank themselves stupid each evening. Give the IDC your honest effort and you'll pass the IE.

Must agree with Jim, if your skills are honestly lacking, get them up to a 4 before you go.

I believe, if you've had some time working as a shop DM involved in:
- DSD's and Skills Refreshers,
- OW Knowledge Reviews, Confined Water sessions and Open Water dives 1-4,
- some AdvOW sessions and Rescue sessions.
- Plus preformed some basic equipment servicing, and not just treated as a tank-b_tch.

Then after the IDC/IE you'll be ready to start your teaching efforts.

Just the IDC.... will not make or teach you everything you need to be an Instructor. It will teach you what you need it pass the IE and you will have the piece of paper. Are you really ready to take responsibility for someone's life ???

Again, just my .02

Question for the instructors:

How much time did you spend as a dive master before becoming an assistant instructor and how much time did you spend as an AI before going for full instructor? Thanks.

I DM'd actively training divers for a bit over 5 years before becoming an instructor. I did AI and the IDC back to back but I felt that I had enough experience at that point that the AI step could be essentially skipped.

R..

I worked as a Training Assistant for two years before becoming a DM, and then worked as a DM for three years before taking ITC and IQP (NAUI). Prior to this I had been diving for 40 years and was a Combat Diver in the Army.

I was a very active divemaster and assistant instructor (NAUI) for bit over two years before I went off to my ITC. I do recommend assisting with more than one instructor, several if you can. There is always something to learn

Though I have no interest in becoming an Instructor, I would guess appropriate time spent as a DM would vary a lot per person. I would also think it would depend on how often you DM in a year. If you are working almost every week, or even every day in the tropics I would think you would need far less in terms of months/years than someone DMing say, 4 classes a year. In my case, perhaps 5-10 YEARS.

My answer to that is simple.
When the time is right, and you're ready to move on to become an instructor, you'll know.
If you don't know, you're probably not ready.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom