When should I look into getting my tech cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think among trained divers the too far too fast would be #1.. Actually the last 2 I know of were on rebreathers. Karstdvr would you send me a PM.

This paradigm has shifted since training is readily available and prevelant. Now the data suggests 1)medical issues 2)too far,too fast,too soon
Gee whiz, all the cave divers I know seem to be in tip top shape, like they're all personal trainers.....how does this happen!?!?! I wonder if poor fitness/health will ever make accident analysis rule 6? :popcorn:

Gee whiz, all the cave divers I know seem to be in tip top shape, like they're all personal trainers.....how does this happen!?!?! I wonder if poor fitness/health will ever make accident analysis rule 6? :popcorn:

no that's just me james

FWIW, while you decide the best course of action for you see if you can find a mentor or mentors. If you can find someone near you that is already doing the type of diving you want to do you can pick their brain, work on skills and equipment. This will help you in deciding the best course of action.

I would suggest locating and instructor now and start a dialog with them. I was talking to my eventual cave instructor several years before I took my cavern class.

He had some good suggestions on gear as well as skills training that I worked on long before class. Some of the things to practice are hovering motionless a foot or so off the bottom with your hands clasped together by your stomach. Swimming along the mud bottom w/ a frog kick w/o stirring up the silt. Helicopter turns. Swimming w/o a mask. Runnning a line and following it w/ your eyes closed. I worked on this for quite a while in shallow (10-15') depths.

When I felt I was ready, I called him and he allowed me to sit in on one of his classroom session to get a feel for his teaching style.

Take it a little at a time. Lots of people "think" they want to be cave divers, but it's definitely not for everyone. You also want to realistically look at the levele of commitment for cave diving in terms of dive time and $. As others have said, even if you don't go past cavern, you will gain extremely valuable skills.

Best wishes in your training,

John

I would suggest locating and instructor now and start a dialog with them. I was talking to my eventual cave instructor several years before I took my cavern class.

He had some good suggestions on gear as well as skills training that I worked on long before class. Some of the things to practice are hovering motionless a foot or so off the bottom with your hands clasped together by your stomach. Swimming along the mud bottom w/ a frog kick w/o stirring up the silt. Helicopter turns. Swimming w/o a mask. Runnning a line and following it w/ your eyes closed. I worked on this for quite a while in shallow (10-15') depths.

When I felt I was ready, I called him and he allowed me to sit in on one of his classroom session to get a feel for his teaching style.

Take it a little at a time. Lots of people "think" they want to be cave divers, but it's definitely not for everyone. You also want to realistically look at the levele of commitment for cave diving in terms of dive time and $. As others have said, even if you don't go past cavern, you will gain extremely valuable skills.

Best wishes in your training,

John

Thanks john,
I appreciate the feedback and help.
p.s. I love your signature -great!

Lots of good instructors out there - find one that will work with you.
Dave

Thanks, know a good instructor I should consider? Traveling isnt a problem, I want to make sure I go with someone that is very good. My open water instructor was a joke. I noticed that my tank inspection was out before my first open water dive.

Protec here in Playa del Carmen just posted this in their blog today, you may find some helpful information for your search -
How to find your instructor ? Is cheap better? — Protec Blog
(I don't work there, but was very satisfied with the training I received from them).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom