When to dive belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daptonema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The title says it all!
We are planning on diving belize at some point in the next 12 months, when is the best time to go?

From www.undercurrent.org

Belize Seasonal Dive Planner
The dry season runs from March through May. The most predictably good weather for diving is from April through June, when the winds are normally light. Hurricanes hit Belize an average of once every six years. Major hurricanes have hit in 1931, 1961, and 1978. During winter months (mainly December, January, and February), Belize is also subject to northers that blow down and disrupt diving for several days. Water temperature may dip as low as the 70s in the winter and reach as high as 85° in the summer.

You also have the chance of seeing whale sharks in Belize during April to June:

http://www.bigblueplanet.com/divecalendar.jsp?DiveRegion=2

The Big Blue Planet website has a Dive Calendar built in which you can search fro different species and regions.

You can also see a graph of the water temperature during the year. Warmest months are July to October.

Thanks. Is there a rainy season associated with lower vis etc?

don't tell anyone but I have 20 years and 8000 dives in Belize.
The colder water in dec. jan. and feb. ( 75 to 80f. ) doesn't allow certain small organisms to thrive and the vis. gets 100' + Its a time of the year I see the best vis. when it gets warmer (80 to 85f.) they bloom and vis gets rough ( 60' we call bad in Belize :)).
march is the most lost days of diving month because of the wind. and hurricane season (june to Nov.) also gives a lot of fresh water that effects vis., again what I call bad may be the best most people have ever seen.
If I had a month to chose it would be January.We have Northern breezes that sky rocket vis and create leas on the best sites.
IMHO :)

The title says it all!
We are planning on diving belize at some point in the next 12 months, when is the best time to go?

Yesterday. :D It was all time off of Southwater Caye.

Visibility is good in January but for atoll trips and in case you want to do some sunbathing, I would recommend March. The seas are generally calmer with less northern winds from coldfronts so you can get out to and back from the atolls without risking a hernia or dislocation from twelve foot seas and it is usually a bit more predictably sunny. January can be hit and miss. If you hit it right, it can be great but if you hit it wrong, it can be not so great. It is definitely true that proliferation of microrganisms and plankton, tiny jellyfish, etc. is higher the warmer the water gets, but March is just at the end of the cooler water season and is usually very nice. But as the other poster says, even at the height of the warm waters, Belize could still easily have the best diving many people have ever had. And usually when the tradewinds are blowing nicely, a lot of the fresh water runoff along the coasts stays right there along the coasts. The barrier reef is a good ways out from the coast and the atolls can be 25 to 45 miles out from the coast.

For the outer atolls I love August! Good Viz, Calm Seas, and the Rain is back on the mainland! Water 81-84* 150ft viz and flat seas! Here is a picture taken in August!
Here are pictures taken in August:
Two Tanked Productions HD & SD Underwater Productions and video services

600_P8310209-Bluehole_BA3_04_A.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom