When to go to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post on scubaboard.com. My name is Brian and I live in Walla Walla, WA. I got NAUI Openwater certified in 1983 while in college but did not dive again until on my honeymoon in 2000 in Jamaica. I did 3 dives there and then 6 dives in Puerto Vallarta early January of this year. My wife did two dives in Jamaica and then got certified in Puerto Vallarta. So we are both new divers. The deepest we have gone so far is to 70' at Marietas Islands near PVR. Anyway we are thinking about going to Cozumel for some diving this late fall or winter. I have read some of the recent posts about Cozumel not being a good choice for new divers. I am in contact with Allison Dennis and would most likely dive with her if we do go. I have told her that we are new divers and from all I have heard of her she is a great teacher and very safe. Anyway I wonder if you all could advise me as to when it would be best to go as far as the weather and quality of diving goes during the time span of late November through end of February (I want to go to warm Mexico during our cold spell). I have heard that December/January can be bad because of the north winds creating rougher seas, stronger currents and possibly poorer visibility. So I am thinking about early February. I appreciate any comments you have, Brian.

Hi Ruf
Hi have been there in Nov and it was great! I have not noticed to much difference through out the year, just a bit wetter some times. Always warm, at least from those of use who live up north.
I would not worry about being a "new diver" Coz is good for all levels from what I have seen. My Wife did her third and forth check out dive there right after her OW class, and she had no problems at all with any of the dives. the DM can pick a reef that'll suit your skill level. I have never dove with Allison, but she comes highly recommend here. Coz rocks, so go have fun. I am going back in July just for the heck of it, and because I can.

Hi Brian!

Cozumel is a great place to go if you are a new diver. My husband and I were there for 2 weeks last Nov/Dec. You'd want to go before the 2nd week of Dec as the rates go up to almost double. It rained a bit on our trip, but not the whole time and it wasn't enough to stop us from going out and diving! My husband took his certification dives there. We stayed at the Reef Club and dove with Sand Dollar Sports. They were great! We did 25 dives on our trip. If you have the time and $ go for more than a week. You'll be glad you did!

Karen

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but for me the answer to this question is always "RIGHT NOW"! ;^)

Seriously, there is no bad time of year to go to Cozumel.

rufous, I am sitting in an Internet cafe on the ocean drive in Coz, it is overcast today, the first such day in 12. It rained every day for the first week, but that is usually late afternoon or night, the mornings are usually blue (hint that's when the dive boats are out). Only one day did the port authority close the harbour.

Had a splendid dive with Blue Angel on the Cedral Wall with a group from the States on Sunday. Lovely diving. Saw a striped pipe fish (cousin of Seahorse).

February is the best guarantee for best diving weather, but as was pointed out, that would be abit more dough than November. Occupacy rates in town hotels has been low, you can cut a deal. Next year is anyones guess it looks like Coz is recovering from a 2 1/2 year lull after 9/11 so prices should be higher next year. November/early December weather here is iffy, but remember, there is always cenote cavern dive on the mainland.

crispos:
rufous, I am sitting in an Internet cafe on the ocean drive in Coz, it is overcast today, the first such day in 12. It rained every day for the first week, but that is usually late afternoon or night, the mornings are usually blue (hint that's when the dive boats are out). Only one day did the port authority close the harbour.

Had a splendid dive with Blue Angel on the Cedral Wall with a group from the States on Sunday. Lovely diving. Saw a striped pipe fish (cousin of Seahorse).

You just GOTTA rub it in, dontcha? Jeez... ;^)

'Sokay, I'll get my chance to do the same to you in May!

rufous:
Hello all. This is my first post on scubaboard.com. My name is Brian and I live in Walla Walla, WA. I got NAUI Openwater certified in 1983 while in college but did not dive again until on my honeymoon in 2000 in Jamaica. I did 3 dives there and then 6 dives in Puerto Vallarta early January of this year. My wife did two dives in Jamaica and then got certified in Puerto Vallarta. So we are both new divers. The deepest we have gone so far is to 70' at Marietas Islands near PVR. Anyway we are thinking about going to Cozumel for some diving this late fall or winter. I have read some of the recent posts about Cozumel not being a good choice for new divers. I am in contact with Allison Dennis and would most likely dive with her if we do go. I have told her that we are new divers and from all I have heard of her she is a great teacher and very safe. Anyway I wonder if you all could advise me as to when it would be best to go as far as the weather and quality of diving goes during the time span of late November through end of February (I want to go to warm Mexico during our cold spell). I have heard that December/January can be bad because of the north winds creating rougher seas, stronger currents and possibly poorer visibility. So I am thinking about early February. I appreciate any comments you have, Brian.

Cozumel is a mixed bag. Yes there are some advanced sites that new divers probably should not do, but there are a lot of other sites in between. If you explain to your dive op the level of experience that you have they should accomodate you. Just be upfront with them.

Ahhh the weather any weather there is better than here. We were down there at xmas 03 and I was cold on the surface :frosty: the winds were out of the north but the sky was crystal clear. The water was warm low 80's. If the northers blow in the harbour can close to small boats or to all boats. It is hard to predict the weather. We are going again this June shouldn't have any northers blow in at that time.

Don't worry about the weather just go and have a great time. Have fun :D

I will add my recommendation for Alison Dennnis. I dove with her when I took my son down for his first dive trip after certification. She did a very nice job.

Rich Hagelin

I am not one to suggest Coz for newbies. Just too many stories of macho dive guides leading newbies into dangerous dives. If you're with the right instructor or guide, though, it can be fine.

I always buy Trip Insurance, and the brand I use will pay if I cancel because my destination is due to get a direct hit; see: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

I was there the last week of November and the last week of January, as well as once January '03, and some days were blown out because of north winds, surge, surf, etc. I think that February would be a slightly better bet for a newbie.

Whenever you go, though - Have Fun and Dive Safely... don

Back
Top Bottom