When to jump ship on agency?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PCR? CPR, it's all the same. It's all fun and games till someone get's hurt........
Ok, so I've been typing in invoices all day, dislexiea strikes...

I got my Nitrox pretty soon after my AOW, since it really isnt a "dive-course" but mostly theory the number of dives you´ve done shouldn´t inpact. It´s basically a physics/math course and a few dives to try Nitrox out to find out how it affects you...if your regular diving is in a range where nitrox is worth the expense (very small), then go for it!

Heres my 2 cents, and take it for what it's worth.

Though I will agree for the most part with what everyone has said, I will disagree to some extent.

One being, that there are so many factors to what is considered a "good" instructor.

For example my OW,AOW, and Rescue instructor. For OW class took much more time than that of classes I've sat through recently as a DM candidate... However, I see the students going through the shorter classes retaining more knowledge, and scoring higher on quizes and tests. I would also consider my OW instructor a better instructor, for actually going over ALL the material at least 2-3 times and in more depth. Of course it's hard with an OW class anyways, so much to retain and the classes are so short to meet what students want, inexpensive, and short.

Now, as "good" as my OW instructor was, when it came to moving into "tech" type stuff, I could tell IF he could teach it, he wouldn't be suited to teaching it.

He in my opinion was too close minded about how one dives.

Also, PADI for instance seems to have a not so good name in the tech classes, I'm not sure exactly why, other than from my understanding that PADI has only recently become involved in the "tech" classes, just recently finnaly adding a Tri-Mix class, which I have yet to hear of an instructor/student for it.

Also, from my understanding, here in Oregon, and possibly Washington, there are ZERO PADI TecRec Instructors, there must be some sort of reason?

Almost EVERY PADI shop here advertises the TecRec Classes but there is no instructor in the state from what my MSDT Friend tells me. There is however several TDI/IANTD instructors, many of which I hear are VERY good.

Also, keep in mind for an instructor to be good, they must actually be doing dives in which they teach, in a non teaching environment... many PADI instructors hardly dive outside of teaching period, let alone do tech dives (just the nature of things). Something else to consider is that to become a DM in IANTD one must have been through more "tech" like classes than PADI, and my MSDT friend who recently completed IANTD Deep/Adv Nitrox and is starting TriMix said he learned more in his Deep/Adv Nitrox than in his DM class through PADI.

As far as experience, I don't fully agree with the "100" dives, I think 50 is an ok number, but then again, I think it's more how you are in the water, skill wise, comfort wise, etc.

Considerations are, how comfortable you are now, how is your air consumption rate in comparisson to when you started, how deep of dives have you averaged, if you've only done 20 dives in 30' I would say, you need some more expereince a bit deeper... That said, I think for MOST divers 100 dives is an adequate # to get the appropriate experience, and is a good number, however I've seen divers with 20 dives who are far superior divers to those of more than 100 dives.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Nitrox at any level IMO, it is a simple tool, and easy gas to use, even after use of active use, it is still sold as a semi-dangerous gas, but in reality is very safe gas, and in my personal opinion, other than cost leaves little reason for diving 21% air.

In the end I would say instructor deffinately does a lot more for the class than agency, PADI has some of the best materials around, however many of the must take a class from "tech" instructors are TDI/IANTD and it sounds like PADI is laking in the "tech" classes.

Just my 2 cents, and views reflected from opinions I've gathered from others on and off this board.

Enjoy your diving, and welcome to this grand sport (20 dives ago that is) :)

Thanks for all of your help.
I think I have a pretty good feel for where to go from here.

BTW, my average dive (excluding deep) is about 50'. When I'm in FL I do a 65' dive first, next will be a 50' (mostly) or 25' depending on if I'm looking for shark teeth or Lobsters. My air use is pretty good, I can do about 50min on a 60' dive. Granted, it could always be better.

I agree with Walter ... look at YScuba for your rescue training. They call it SLAM (Scuba Lifesaving and Accident Management). It's a comprehensive course. When I took it, they included DAN 02 and Red Cross Medic First Aid as part of the curriculum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I didnt jump ship from the agency, but from my OW instructor! Before taking the course we had discussed further courses like nitrox, aow and rescue as potential further education after OW and also going on trips. I then started the course with this LDS and realized they wanted my cash and werent giving me decent training for it.

Due to an accident on I-4 this morning (jackknife semi with a fuel spill) on the way to work i detoured on another route and drove past the store. There was the instructor with more students packing up the van for some training, there were at least 5 people going on it that i saw in the doorway, could have been others inside. Made me wonder how an LDS that treats you bad has such a reasonable turnover of business?? I guess if you give out the certs for a lowish price you will always get good business even if you dont teach diving all that well, just as long as the students dont realise it!!

I am now on the verge of taking aow w/nitrox and in the future rescue with another instructor, same agency, but due to his multi-affiliation (SDI/TDI and NACD) i should also be able to move towards the tech side a little as well when i am ready for it.

If you feel that you are getting short changed or not being taught what you want/need then dont hesitate to try another (if there are that many in Denver?) or at least ask around.

Actually, I sent the local NAUI guy an email yesterday, I haven't got a reply yet.
I sent a YMCA guy one today.

I'm going to talk to some people before I do anything after the Rescue course.
Someone said to ask about the failure rate of an instructor, I like that idea. It seems to me that if they are honest enought to talk about that, they are worth talking to.

Thanks everyone.
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom