When to replace the tank bungee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would think when: (A) It breaks, (B) When it seems fatigued or (C) When it becomes stretched out of its original length.

Let me know when you are replacing the tank bungee. After x amount of years? When it breaks? Other indicators?
Depending on how the tank is rigged, a broken bungie would mostly result in tanks being out of trim, and not any kind of a hazard. That said, the correct answer is:
D. You're tired of the color of your current bungee.
Marine grade bungie cord is incredibly cheap, and there are lots of pretty colors. I like 3/16 inch (4.76mm) for some extra stretchiness, but I think the standard thickness is 1/4 inch (6.35mm) which might be desirable if diving steel tanks.

E: You purchase those adjustable bungee hardware pieces.

Depending on how the tank is rigged, a broken bungie would mostly result in tanks being out of trim, and not any kind of a hazard. That said, the correct answer is:

Marine grade bungie cord is incredibly cheap, and there are lots of pretty colors. I like 3/16 inch (4.76mm) for some extra stretchiness, but I think the standard thickness is 1/4 inch (6.35mm) which might be desirable if diving steel tanks.

E: You purchase those adjustable bungee hardware pieces.
1/4 inch even for steel tanks up to lp95s was just overkill and a pain in the butt for me. Switched all 6 of my different rigs to quality 3/16th from Randy at Piranha and never looked back. My main rig has the same bungee after installing it in 2013 when I got my tech instructor rating.
Use clips to the drings when entering an exiting the water so it doesn't get overly stretched out and it should last years.

Back
Top Bottom