When Traveling, How Do You Choose WHICH DIVE SHOP TO USE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jason.elias

Contributor
Reaction score
We just returned from traveling overseas, and I have to be honest, choosing a good Dive Shop, Boat or Dive Master overseas seems to VERY hit and miss...

Most often whichever Dive shop is close to our hotel or which we "feel" is the best, gets our business. But of course, those might not be the best ways to choose someone who will have our lives in their hands...

I was wondering, how does anyone else make sense of this? How do people choose? And how do you know if the place you choose is safe or even that good?

A good place to start is right here. Do a search for the dive shop you are thinking of using or do a search of the regional travel forum for the area you are thinking of travelling too.

Talk to the Shop and make sure they have done the trip before! Also make sure the shop is well established! If you are adventurous you might go with a shop to a new location for the first time? Good shop owners work all the particulars and gets the best for the price, witch is relative! By trip insurance if it is an expensive trip, and thats up to you, and let the adventure begin! If it is done well you will want to go again with that shop, if not then you have to try again! Professionals do a great job on all aspects of your trip! Nothing is left to chance! Ask the Shop if they do a news letter for the trip or a pre-party to get know your travailing companions! Remember about boards is they sometimes are a place to vent for some, so check it all, and watch for people god couldn't please! Divers Chap Book is good as well and there is no advertising only people who have been! Again remember you will get THEIR opinion! I have read about "No fish", "Bad Food", Etc to find it to be great! It's like art! In the eye of the beholder!

Depends. When I was traveling internationally before the Internet was such an easy and comprehensive tool, I would arrive in a destination and go to each dive shop that looked promising. I would talk with their staff and rate the operation based on the answers I received, as well as input from other divers I met in the location.

Now I use the Internet to do a lot of my winnowing. I also used the Traveling Diver's Chapbook from UnderCurrents back when I subscribed to it. I would still except I'm a starving marine biologist!

Research on Scubaboard and other dive boards, Undercurrent & the chapbook. Glossy magazines are good for learning about the existence of a place but that's about it. Read between the lines of everything.

As far as trusting that a trip organized by a dive shop would be good, or suit me, or be a good price, I wouldn't assume anything. Their criteria for a good trip aren't always the same as mine. And I probably do as much or more research than they do, and know more about some of the places. If I'm considering an organized trip I do just as much checking to see if it's a choice I would have made on my own.

Definately check on Scubaboard.
I usually go with whoever is most responsive to my emails and does the best job of answering my questions.
I like to see places that have experienced personnel as well.

Back
Top Bottom