When you dive solo...

Hw do you solo dive

• Dive solo with land support

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Dive solo without land support

Votes: 94 84.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
do you dive with beach support, people watching you from land that know your dive plan and time schedule

or

totally solo, no land support at all.

I don't even do that because of the currents in Hawaii.

I have the captain trailing me and once I split off from the group, I blow my marker and drag it along so he knows where I am as he plucks the others out of the water.

I suppose the "true" solo divers who kayak out alone and dive all alone probably do let someone know where they are going...although not sure that would make a big difference if he had a real problem.

I don't have anyone on shore or landbased in the vicinity of the dive, I always call my wife just to let her know where I am, what time she should expect to here from me, and when I expect to be home. This is just so there is someone aware of my location if I end up overdue~ I'm more concerned about having a vehicle accident or physical injury outside of the water, not so morbid as someone having to recover "the body" Some of the places I dive have very little or no traffic around. We do own a boat, and on the rare occasions I dive when I'm out on the lake with family the kids usually follow me around by the bubbles and wait for me to reappear.

You need to add a both to the options. I sometimes dive with people on land at the lake. I will also go by myself but someone usually knows where I've gone and about what time to expect me or at least a phone call of I'm going to be gone all weekend. WAIT!! If people are not with me then they are all on land! Just may not happen to be at the same location. Unless they are in a plane then they would not be on land but in the air. Well not in the air but in a plane in the air.

If I'm diving off the King Neptune, there are crew aboard but they are not focused on me... the customers are why they are there. If I'm diving solo in the dive park, there are usually lots of people topside but no one is looking out specifically for me.

I do not usually have a land observer, but I do let someone at the house know when to wonder about me...usually 4 hours. The diving equivalent of filing a flight plan.

Usually my wife or a friend is on the boat. I do very little diving from the beach.

captain:
Usually my wife or a friend is on the boat. I do very little diving from the beach.

What he said.

Sometimes people know where I am, sometimes no one even knows I'm diving.

Back
Top Bottom