When you find an item while diving, do you try and locate the owner?

When you find an item while diving, do you try and locate the owner?

• Yes: If it's more than $1000 value.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes: If it's more than a $500 value.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Yes: If it's more than a $100 value.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Yes: Anything I feel might be valuable regardless of monetary value.

Votes: 37 63.8%
  • No way.. Finders keepers, losers weepers!

Votes: 18 31.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find lost divers all the time and am glad to give them back!:jester:

on my first dive off of Monterey, CA, I found a really nice UK flashlight. It had been there a while, I had to pry a snail off of it (he wasn't hurt) and rip off some seaweed, but it was still in working condition with battaries that lasted through a night dive the next weekend

Depends on the gear... I use a yellow rubberized paint for neoprene, Magic marker for light colored plastic, etc...

A diver, in the '90s, found a wedding ring on a wreck, the Cassimir, from one of the victims of it's sinking some time in the '40s. He found the relatives of the original owner and returned it, but I don't remember if it was a wife or a child. How would you value this artifact? The story is true.

Sure, I'd give it back... If I could positively identify the owner.

I found a brand new pistol grip dive light at the end of a night
dive. After surfacing and heading towards shore, I had a couple
minutes of moral dilemma as I saw a team of 6 divers walking
out in a typical search pattern.

Morals won, and the light was returned.

-Jeff

After reading all the posts about to return or not to return, I feel that 99.9999% of the divers we have met are honest to the core. I have left all my dive gear on a balcony, railings or hanging in a drying area and have only lost one tropical hood. We make a true effort to find owners for items we have found. I may just be a trusting soul but, divers go beyond to be honest. I intend to continue being one of those divers with honesty as one of my morals.

Honesty is all any of us can ask. I don't think there are many here who would keep a piece of found equipment without at least making an effort. We may not all drop it in the LDS lost and found, but who wouldn't at least ask around?

Once I found a set of denture underwater. It was in an area of loads of snorkelers. I couldn't find the owner but am sure he/she realised it was missing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom