Where are the DIVE SPORTS and COMPETITIONS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never expressed this before, but I would rather less, not more, people took up diving. I'm selfish, I know.

Well, since Glen claims he's abandoning the thread, I'll say it for him - you're a dirty elitist.

I agree, but "extreme scuba" as a sport won't do it either, and if it did, it would just bring jerks into the sport.

Actually, unless you think diving already has more jerks than the general population, any deeper penetration of the general population will bring more jerks to the sport.

There is no need. Scuba isn't a competitive sport, and I wouldn't want it to be. I also don't see the need to encourage many more people into the sport.

My thoughts exactly, but SOMEONE think that makes us evil.

Wouldn't it be great if you headed out to your favorite dive spot the first weekend in months that the viz was good only to be chased away because some high school was running scuba races.

"Nothing good can survive being discovered." - Spider Robinson

Points, as well as insults are flying past everybody here.

I read the OP to mean trying to get the mainstream public interested in scuba, and finding a way to hype the sport to that end. I believe that is what bfw is opposed to, and I am inclined to agree. The typical dabbler would infuse some cash and interest, but ultimately cause more harm than good before they leave.

We need to find a way to reach those that belong here. Who are those people? The people that would take the time and effort to learn to dive safely, and respect the environment at the same time.

As opposed to the reef clingers, and those who like to harrass wildlife, you know, grab the puffers until they inflate. We have enough of those already...

I am inclined to think not. Raise awareness for environmental concerns, yes, but increase the amount of people pressuring fragile ecosystems with poor bouyancy control and a lack of true respect would accelerate the decline of coral in all the popular destinations....Attracting the masses would, imo, be a horrible thing in the long run. Great for the industry, terrible for the environment....Those that need a "sport show" or some other to get off the couch and into the water...sorry if this sounds "elitist", but I would rather they stay right where they are...

Thank you for pointing that out. Guess I'm not so crazy after all.

I read the OP to mean trying to get the mainstream public interested in scuba, and finding a way to hype the sport to that end. I believe that is what bfw is opposed to,

Exactly. Competitive events are merely the extreme example that makes the case more obvious, but hype is hype, and it only attracts magpies who are drawn to noisy shiny junk.

Assuming for a moment that more young people is a good thing, attracting young folks to scuba will always be difficult, simply because it is so expensive.

I can attest to not being able to drop over $1000 to dive in the Keys for a weekend (and frankly even a trip down to Rawlings from here will run into the ~$500 range when all is said and done). Add on a relatively high up-front cost, and you get very few who have the means to give it a try, and so there is far from a critical mass of enthusiastic people. Not enough people means not enough buddies, and not enough buddies means less diving.

From my point of view, most people get into certain activities due in large part to the people around them, not necessarily because of coverage on ESPN.

Additionally, while lots of people that love scuba enjoy quarries and other cold water dives, most uncertified people really only seem interested in clear, warm water.

Want an extreme sport...put them in open current so they don't smash into into any sea life. I know some places that run an average 10 knots. Well on second thought...recovering the slightly soiled, good gear could be an issue. :wink:

My thoughts exactly, but SOMEONE think that makes us evil.

Nope, doesn't make you evil....just really ignorant. You have continually ignored the one SIMPLE point I have made...I rejected the idea of Scuba competition early on, I reject gimmicks, but here is a FACT...every one of us that are diving, had SOMEONE, or SOMETHING introduce us to the sport....we developed a love for this sport that obviously we are all passionate about. We are all so passionate about it, that we get on a keyboard and type insults towards one another...Yep, that makes me ignorant too.:dork2:

Now, back to the simple point....someone or something introduced us to this sport...for those who do not have the wonderful joy of having an intelligent, articulate, passionate person like you or me in their life :D....how can we legitimately, without hype, without ruining the environment, without encouraging the stupid people and undesirables that you fear will flood the sport and the water ways, without compromising the sanctity of diving.....etc., etc., is there a way to help others to consider this great sport. Your answer appears to be no....of course I disagree.

So, we move on. If your mission is an exclusive "our four and no more club", that is okay. I laugh as I hear analogies of state parks being over crowded and someone projecting that this is what will happen if we simply promote the sport we love. Our wonderful world is approximately, 78% water....we could dump us all in the ocean and never make dent....but, when we think rationally we know that will not happen.

Therefore, I hope those of you who love this sport...will promote this sport. I will continue to try and involve any person who has the desire, to at least explore the possibility of diving. Those of you who love the exclusive aspect of the sport, just whisper around "outsiders" as you talk about your love of the sport.....you stay on your side of the boat, and we will stay on ours, and we will all get along just fine.

Now, I am going to get wet! Peace

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom