Where are the good beaches in Belize with dive shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdreefers

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I will be in Belize for about 3 weeks. We are wondering what is the best beach in Belize that has dive shops located near by.

No beaches in Belize are private, and it is illegal to block them off. Consequently you won't find many "idyllic beach paradises". That said, the further you are from "civilisation" the better the beaches. But there probably won't be many dive shops nearby. Possibly your best bet is one of the island resorts with their own dive shops. I can't recommend any because I don't know them; hopefully others can help.

Yeah, but I would like to dive with you.... Protech! I am wondering what is a nice place to stay at, for around $100-$150 US per day that has a nice beach? I have read great things about Protech and I think this is who I would like to dive with. I just don't know quite where to stay.

sdreefers:
Yeah, but I would like to dive with you.... Protech! I am wondering what is a nice place to stay at, for around $100-$150 US per day that has a nice beach? I have read great things about Protech and I think this is who I would like to dive with. I just don't know quite where to stay.

sdreefers-

Protech will pick you up at any dock near San Pedro. You might look at Paradise Villas , Xanadu resort or The Sunbreeze hotel. These and all others can be seen at the website: http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html

Hope you enjoy your diving with Protech. They've treated us very well over the last 3 years. Ken :42:

Places fairly near us with nice beaches - hmm. Ken picked one - Xanadu. Great low-key resort that is deservedly very popular. They have a pool, something Caribbean Villas nearby doesn't have, but the peaceful "bird sanctuary" ambience is common to both. There are lots of other good hotels, but in that price range AND with a good beach I'm struggling a bit. Look up these two on the URL Ken gave, and pm me (or email me - address on my website) for specific help. There's a good chance Xanadu will be full - I don't know that's so, but it does tend to get booked up long in advance - but you may have better luck next door (Caribbean Villas). Or share Paradise Villas with Ken and family - they'll be here at around the same time.

To be fair to the other dive shops, some of which are excellent (even I would dive with them!) they'll all pick you up anywhere in the town area and sometimes further afield.

Placencia has better beaches than Ambergris Caye/San Pedro--however no beach in belize is that great--because the barrier reef is so close, it blocks the wave action and sand build up (Compared to like roatan). The diving is closer in AC/SP, you have to take a boat out further in Placencia. I really enjoyed both towns, although I preferred the more laid-back style in Placencia. The beaches on the atolls aren't so great either. however, again, the diving is phenominal! With 3 weeks you could have time to go to both towns!

Yeah, I am having a difficult time deciding. I like sand pedro but it looks pretty touristy and I wonder if you get the full effect of being on vacation. Caye caulker looks nice but maybe a to secluded and that's ok with me but the wife doesn't quite buy it. That said, the atolls are not much of an option just because of how rustic it is and how secluded it is. Placencia sounds great and there are a lot of nice hotels there, however, I wonder how good it is for diving and if there are good dive shops that are located there. Thanks to all of you for the responses, it has really helped me out greatly, now I just have to decide.

peterbj7:
Places fairly near us with nice beaches - hmm. Ken picked one - Xanadu. Great low-key resort that is deservedly very popular. They have a pool, something Caribbean Villas nearby doesn't have, but the peaceful "bird sanctuary" ambience is common to both. There are lots of other good hotels, but in that price range AND with a good beach I'm struggling a bit. Look up these two on the URL Ken gave, and pm me (or email me - address on my website) for specific help. There's a good chance Xanadu will be full - I don't know that's so, but it does tend to get booked up long in advance - but you may have better luck next door (Caribbean Villas). Or share Paradise Villas with Ken and family - they'll be here at around the same time.

To be fair to the other dive shops, some of which are excellent (even I would dive with them!) they'll all pick you up anywhere in the town area and sometimes further afield.

What would be other resorts, say, if price wasn't much of an option what would be a nice place to stay? I guess the price isn't much of an issue, we just didn't want to spend 350 per night, maybe up to 200-250 max.

Not quite sure what you mean. The two I mentioned above are excellent, or in a higher price range altogether there's Victoria House, pretty well universally regarded as excellent. They do have a small beach that is nice and (because it's some way from town) little traversed and peaceful, but most of their sea border is sea wall. Inside the sea wall though there is a large flat and very peaceful sandy area. Or almost next door there's Royal Caribbean, mid-priced and liked more by visitors than locals. Very peaceful ambience, large pool, rooms (individual huts) very nice inside though looking a bit flimsy outside. The only negative I've heard is the food, provided on-site by a different business and described to me by all five of a group staying there who dived with us as "awful". Still, restaurants at Victoria House and Banana Beach are both a short walk away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom