Where are the SCALLOPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salmonboy97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scallop season officially opened yesterday and despite the weather I made it out in the AM and PM. It rained both times and everyone was continually wet.
In the afternoon the wind picked up to the predicted 15+ knots and it got a little bouncy.
Despite this not many scallops lost their lives. Check this link out: Fish and Wildlife Research Institute

It seems the scallop population around Hernando County waters is down about 90% from last year. So were are the scallops hiding?

If you find some good populations please post the general location so others can enjoy them!

We had absolutely no luck with them last year either...I think our group found a total of 5.

Last year it didnt take 30 minutes for everyone on the boat to limit out. The areas we harvested last year are sparse this year.
Yesterday we found about 20, total.
I am going to keep dropping in and looking around until I find the critters!

I remember an article a while back that they were wiped out on the Outer Banks due to an explosion in the population of Cow Nose rays, which normally are kept in check by the shark population, and of course we know where that is going.

I was wondering what effect "natural" predators had on the very high poplulation of 2008. Im sure they had something to do with the shorter supply this year.
Also I wonder how many the environment can sustain?

Yeah. I remember that same article. According to the article it was going to be a while before the numbers where back up. But I also heard last year was a good year and they expected the numbers to be back up in a short amount of time. If you find any let me know. I would sure like dem on my plate about now. mmmmmmmm Scallops...........

I really think the rain had something to do with it. All that fresh water and run off . I normal see them everywhere when I dive. Today I didnt see one. Of coarse I'm in area where they cant be collected. It was just nice to see them around. Did a two tank dive today and hoped to see a few around. NOTHING I know down in the Ft myers area they use to be able to get them all the time in season no diving required really. I havent seen them there in a year or so as well.

we got 6 gallons at homassasa one day after several hours with 8 people. Besides that just a couple gallons a day at homassasa and at the end of the bayport channel. I think the rain drove them to deeper water.

I remember an article a while back that they were wiped out on the Outer Banks due to an explosion in the population of Cow Nose rays, which normally are kept in check by the shark population, and of course we know where that is going.

I was going to post this myself. As one unfamiliar with the marine ecosystems of the specific region, I can't comment personally but was aware of this particular 9mpact in others areas due to over fishing of shark predators.

Thanks Wakeman for your post. Last year I got 10 gallons in about 35 minutes with 5 divers. I am hearing they are farther offshore and will be exploring out farther possibly Wednesday. I will post back if I can find anything good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom