where can I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you thought about the closest aquarium? Some places take on volunteer divers to clean the exhibits and act as docents. My SO and I were both volunteer divers at the New York Aquarium -and will be again, when we move back home - and it was one of the best things I ever did. You meet the greatest people ever (who conveniently double as dive buddies!); learn more than you ever thought possible about the aquarium's critters, which gives you a greater appreciation of your surroundings when you dive in open water; and are guaranteed to get wet as often as you can volunteer. Check it out - you won't be sorry.

Ha!

I signed up as a volunteer diver for the Virginia Aquarium shortly after making this thread. I've loved it but the 9hr round trip is a bit cumbersome.

There Is a quarry in Blanch, NC that is 1.6 hours from you. You would need to become a member, that will allow you to dive there and a key to the gate. I'm not sure if anyone goes out on the weekdays, but the weekends there are several people there. Heading there this weekend myself with a guy from my class.

All depends on State laws. Where I live, most State Parks lakes allow diving. Other than that, if it's private, just get permission, just like hunting.

Thanks for the advice all, I've just taken to the "it's easier to ask for forgiveness" policy and gone exploring any body of water that looks clear enough, and I've had a great summer! I'm regularly surprised at the life I encounter in local waters (3"gar, schools of bass/bluegill, turtles, etc... and all for free!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom