Where can I find names of strange sea creatures I don't know by looking at a photo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marxous

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im looking to find out information on a few strange creatures i found underwater. the first is a jelly and the second is something that looked very odd, like a string of bacteria, sort of looked like sausage links, with an oblonged jelly-fish-esque 'head', 7 inches long. . . basically where is a good resource that lists what sea creatures are by category, with photos.

Thank you,

-Marc

I've been looking for a good online resource as well... no luck so far.
The best I've found (and I believe it's pretty much the gold standard around here) is a book called Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest by Andy Lamb/Bernard Hanby.

It's pricey but the library has a few copies that you can borrow (if I don't already have it checked out) :D

You don't say where you saw these creatures, which is important to any identification.

I really like the interactive book on DVD "Reef Fish of the Caribbean" because the software really makes identification simple, but not sure if there is such a book for your creatures/ region.

sorry for forgetting location - porteau cove. the bacteria creature was around the Nakaya ( furthest out ) wreck, at the ship, maybe 85-90ft. The jelly was a little higher.

I think the jelly was a crystal jelly, judging by the wiki article on jellys; the bacteria thing i dont know... it looks like what i've illustrated in the photo provided, ideas what it is? Or even what classification of species it is eg. mammal (which it clearly isnt :p)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 667
oh i should mention that it was swimmong sort of like a jelly fish, but and the segments below the head were flexable like a tentacle :)

It sounds like the second thing you saw may have been a salp. Did it look anything like this:

salp.jpg

Amazing creature, yes it looked something like that, only one of those segments being a 'head' with many sections like 'appendages' trailing underneath it, which were smaller... lol sort of awkward to explain. Im going to do some research and i'll report back any positive progress. Thank you for the photo and the reply, interesting creatures...

You don't say where you saw these creatures, which is important to any identification.

Since the original post was in the Western Canada section one would assume that the poster was talking about the West Coast of Canada.

To the OP- If you can't find anything online and are stumped you can get hold of Andy Lamb directly through Cedar Beach - Your home for diving adventures . He is a very good guy and enjoys solving a good critter mystery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom