Where can I find names of strange sea creatures I don't know by looking at a photo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since the original post was in the Western Canada section one would assume that the poster was talking about the West Coast of Canada.
Yes, possibly true, but as most of us dive in a great many different places it is never safe to assume anything. I live in upstate NY but dive all over the Caribbean, as well as local. Sorry, but I had to ask.

It sounds like the second thing you saw may have been a salp. Did it look anything like this:

salp.jpg

Just saw something like those salp in your photo on a National Geographic special last evening at a friend's house. Great photo.

I second or third (what ever the count is) Andy Lambs book. There are many specialized texts out there but it is by far the most comprehensive collection of species. Excellent pics as well.
Dale.

tailed jelly?
p 110 of the lamb book.

That is immediately what I thought of when reading the description.

More votes for Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest, it is far and away the best book on the creatures that local divers will come across. Last year I stayed at Andy's lodge and dove with him, he is a walking encyclopedia. It was especially cool when he went through his collecting bucket after a dive describing what he found interesting about each creature.

We've been keeping an online catalog of critters and are working with the REEF program to continue to build it. You are welcome to look at it for help identifying the species you find. Please add anything you shoot to and we'll continue to build the catalog.

www.ThePerfectDive.com

Thanks for posting this site, it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for online! I see you're a bit lacking in Canadian dive sites though :no:

Thanks for posting this site, it's EXACTLY what I've been looking for online! I see you're a bit lacking in Canadian dive sites though :no:

Thanks! I'm waiting for some invites to come up there diving to add some more sites. Hint, hint :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom